ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Renewing Immigration Documents

*IMPORTANT! If your immigration documents have expired, you cannot resume your studies unless you have maintained status or you have obtained a new CAQ and Study Permit. All international students are responsible for maintaining valid immigration documents and legal status throughout the duration of their program of studies.

Requirements for Renewing Immigration Documents:

Document 1-term Exchange Student
(Less than 6 months) continuing studies to the second term
Degree Student
(Undergraduate & Graduate) continuing studies in the same degree or new degree

Valid Passport*



Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) Yes Yes
Study Permit  Yes Yes
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)* *If applicable. These documents correspond to the nationality of the student. Check the Government of Canada website to find out if you need one to enter Canada. ONLY U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are exempt from needing an eTA or a TRV

Note: Once you arrive in Canada, Keep copies of all important documents (ex. passport, study permit, CAQ, health insurance card, etc.) in a safe place, and take note of your documents' expiry dates.


Renew your Passport (at least 6 months before expiry).  Check this list of foreign representatives in Canada to find your country's closest Consulate or Embassy.

Important tips:

  • While your documents are being processed... It is strongly recommended that you remain in Canada while your immigration documents are being processed.  Please see "Can I travel while waiting for my online study permit renewal application made inside Canada is still in process?" on the Study Permit Renewal Guide.
  • Keep records  Ensure that you keep a photocopy of all application forms and supporting documents that you send to Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Québec.
  • Track your application  Always mail important documents using a mail or courier service that allows you to track your items. It is important for you to have proof of the date that your dossier was received. You should also keep the receipt of delivery for your records.
  • Your contact information  Please remember that if your documents are being processed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office in Vegreville, your Study Permit can only be mailed to an address in Canada, so please ensure that you indicate a valid Canadian mailing address and a phone number where messages can be left in your application.
  • "Restoration of Status" fee  If you apply to renew your Study Permit after it expires, you must pay a "Restoration of Status" fee. Once it has been renewed, you must submit a copy of both your CAQ and Study Permit to Enrolment Services.

IMPORTANT transcript information:

  • Immigration Authorities will not accept a transcript with the “COPY” remarks on it. The use of an e-transcript with the “COPY” remarks could lead to the refusal of your PGWP application. The “COPY” remarks will appear when you print the e-transcript or download it improperly. For information or questions about the e-transcript please see McGill Student Record’s website.

In addition to the information above, please also review ISS' FAQs page.

Back to top