ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Accompanying Family Members

Biometrics expanded to Inside Canada applications: you must submit biometrics in order to extend or apply for an immigration document from inside Canadae.g. study permit, work permit, visitor record, and temporary resident visa (TRV/Visitor Visa/Entry Visa). See the ISS News Section and Immigration Canada’s website for more information. U.S. citizens are currently exempt from having to provide biometrics. For a full list of exemptions, see Immigration Canada’s website.

A family ​If you have accompanying family members (also called accompanying dependents), we recommend that you come to speak to an advisor, during our drop-in hours, so that we can best advise you as you renew your own and your family members’ immigration documents.

Accompanying family members can include:

Ideally, when you apply to extend your Study Permit, you should include your family members in your Study Permit Extension application. In general, this is the simplest way for your family members to renew their Open Work Permit and/or Visitor Records.

Once you have obtained your new Study Permit, Open Work Permit and/or Visitor Record, you and your family members can apply for your Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs).

For help renewing your Study Permit, see our Study Permit Renewal Application Guide


  • For help renewing your Study Permit, see our Study Permit Renewal Application Guide 
  •  When completing the online questionnaire, answer “Yes” to the question Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
  • Complete, validate, save, and upload all forms and other required documents.
  • You must submit and pay the fees in order for your application to be processed.


Renewing your Temporary Resident Visas (TRV)

After you obtain your new Study Permit or Work Permit, you can apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

If you have a spouse/common-law partner only ​ and they have an Open Work Permit

If you have no accompanying dependent children and your spouse or common-law partner has an open work permit, you and your spouse/common-law partner can apply online, separately, for your new TRVs. In other words, you should not include your spouse/common-law partner in your own TRV application.


  • For help renewing your TRV, see our TRV Renewal Application Guide 
  • Your spouse/common-law partner will have to create their own online account with Immigration Canada in order to apply for their TRV online.
  • Midway through the online questionnaire, you will be given an option to apply for your “Temporary Resident Visa” or a “Study Permit”. Select the “Temporary Resident Visa” option. *Your spouse/common-law partner should select the “Temporary Resident Visa” option and not the “Open Work Permit option”.

If you are also applying for a spouse/common-law partner with visitor status and/or a child

If your spouse/common-law partner has visitor status and/or you have a child in Canada who is here as your accompanying dependent, these family members cannot apply online for new TRVs. 

We recommend that you apply to extend your own TRV and your family members’ TRVs together in one paper application to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa.


  • For help renewing your TRV, see our TRV Renewal Application Guide 
  • Include an explanatory letter explaining your status in Canada and requesting new TRVs for yourself and your accompanying family members, a proof of enrolment letter, and copies of your valid Study Permit and your family members’ Visitor Record(s). 
  • Follow the instructions for how and where to mail your paper application.
  • Once your application is approved, Immigration Canada will let you know how and where to submit your passport so that the TRV (counterfoil) can be affixed to your passport.
Back to top