Is your study permit expiring soon? Has it already expired? Not sure what to do next?
Here’s what you should know:
- If you apply to extend your study permit from inside of Canada before it expires, you can continue studying under the maintained status – you can continue to study until you receive an answer on your new study permit application but only if you remain in Canada.
Maintained status: Applications to extend your stay in Canada as a student must be submitted by 11:59:59 pm Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (6:59:59 pm ET) on the date your study permit expires. If you do not apply to extend your stay in Canada by 11:59:59 pm Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (6:59:59 pm ET) on the date your study permit expires you will lose your status as a student in Canada.***
- In order to obtain a new study permit, you will need to have a valid CAQ that covers the period you wish to extend your study permit for – if you receive an “Intention of refusal” letter from Immigration Quebec, contact ISS RIGHT AWAY.
- If you are concerned that you may not receive your new CAQ before your study permit expires – contact ISS RIGHT AWAY.
- If you are in Canada and you do not apply to extend your study permit before it expires – you have lost your status as a student and are no longer authorized to study or work in Canada until you obtain a new study permit.*
*NOTE: There is no “90 day grace period” during which you may continue studying once your study permit has expired.
*** IMPORTANT ***
- International students in Canada have 90 days from the date they lost their status to apply to restore their status as a student – an application to restore your status can only be made from inside Canada. You are NOT authorized to study or work while waiting for an answer.
- Renewing your immigration documents? Contact ISS RIGHT AWAY, if:
- You receive a CAQ intention of refusal letter;
- Your CAQ or study permit application is refused;
- You have lost your status as a student.
- Planning on travelling? Contact ISS RIGHT AWAY, if:
- You currently have maintained status;
- You are currently out of status and have applied for restoration; OR
- Your study permit expires while outside of Canada.
Still have questions or concerns?
Contact International Student Services!
We're Here to Help