Study Permit Renewal GuideIn order to study in Canada, you must have a valid study permit throughout your studies and meet the conditions of your study permit
If your study permit will expire before you complete your program of studies, you must:
- Apply to extend it before it expires. If you don't do this, you will lose your status as a student in Canada. You will not be authorized to resume studying or working until you obtain a new study permit.
- Have a CAQ that is valid beyond the expiration date of your current study permit. A study permit is normally issued with an expiration date that matches your CAQ.
- Have a valid passport. Your new study permit cannot be issued past the expiration date of your passport. Ideally, your passport should be valid for the remainder of your studies.
- Apply to extend your study permit even if you have only one semester left. You must have a valid study permit for the entire duration of your program.
Contact ISS right away if either of the following situations applies to you:
- Your study permit is about to expire and you do not have a new CAQ– e.g. CAQ renewal is still in processing OR you have not yet submitted your CAQ application.
- You are outside of Canada, your study permit is about to expire, and you will not have your new study permit application approved before you return to Canada.