McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Mon, 07/15/2024 - 16:07

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

ISS will be closed Thursday, July 18th for a staff event.

ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Renewing Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV)

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Sample
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Sample
Only citizens of certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. A TRV is sometimes referred to as a “Visitor Visa” or “Entry Visa”.

You can remain in Canada, even if your TRV has expired, as long as you have a valid status document (e.g. valid Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record, or visitor stamp in your passport).

If you leave Canada, you may request to re-enter Canada if:

  • You have a valid TRV; or
  • Your TRV has expired and you have only visited the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon and you have a valid status (e.g. Study Permit, Work Permit, Visitor Record, or visitor stamp in passport).

You can check the estimated processing time for visitor visas here.

For tips on how to apply, please see our Entry Visa (TRV) application guide.


Important Transcript Information

  • IMPORTANT transcript information: Immigration Authorities will not accept a transcript with the “COPY” remarks on it. The use of an e-transcript with the “COPY” remarks will lead to the refusal of your PGWP application. The “COPY” remarks will appear when you print the e-transcript or download it improperly. For information or questions about the e-transcript please see McGill Student Record’s website.

  • In order to ensure that Immigration Authorities accept your transcript, we recommend that you only use the printed official transcript ordered through Service Point. You can request your official printed transcripts via Service Point's dedicated webform. For online applications, you may scan a PDF of the printed official transcript.

Applying for your TRV from within Canada

*IMPORTANT* To renew your TRV, you must complete form IMM 5257 (Application for Visitor Visa). Even if you apply for your TRV from inside Canada, on the online document checklist the form may be called the IMM 5257 Application for Visitor Visa from Outside Canada.

If you apply to extend your Study Permit from within Canada, you must apply separately for your TRV after you obtain your new Study Permit. In other words, a TRV will not be automatically issued with your Study Permit.

You can apply for your new TRV online.  

Once you fill out the online portion of the TRV application, you will receive instructions from Immigration Canada indicating how and where to mail your passport. Always use a mail delivery service that provides a tracking number, like Xpress Post Canada, and include a pre-paid envelope so that Immigration Canada can quickly and securely return your passport.

Step-by-step guide for inside Canada TRV applications

Before you renew your TRV, ensure that you have a valid passport, CAQ and Study Permit. Your new entry visa (TRV) will not be valid beyond the expiry of your Study Permit or passport, whichever one expires first.

  1. Log into your online account with Immigration Canada (or register for an account)
  2. Once you are signed in, select “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit” to continue
  3. Complete the online questionnaire

When asked for your current country of residence, be sure to indicate “Canada”.

Midway through the questionnaire, you will have the option to extend your Study Permit or apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. Select the option to apply for a “Temporary Resident Visa”.

When asked “Which of the following best describes your situation?”, select “I have a study permit for a specific institution or level of education”.

4.       Record your personal reference code (this code is generated for you after you complete the online questionnaire)

5.       Enter your personal reference code in your online account

6.       Once you have entered your personal reference code, follow the instructions to complete your application

7.       Complete, validate, save, and upload the Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) form (IMM 5257, in PDF format)

McGill’s Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #):

McGill’s Main Campus: O19359011033

McGill’s Macdonald Campus: O19359010982

8.       Upload supporting documents. You will be asked to upload a list of supporting documents based on the answers you provided to the online questionnaire.

Click on the "?" if you need more details about the supporting documents in question.

You do not need to submit a Letter of Acceptance. Instead, upload a Proof of Enrolment letter (accessible via your Minerva account).

9.       After you submit your payment, you will receive a confirmation notice from Immigration Canada confirming that your application was submitted.

10.   Once your application is approved, Immigration Canada will let you know how and where to submit your passport so that the TRV (counterfoil) can be affixed to your passport.

Applying for your new TRV from outside of Canada

If you apply for your new Study Permit from outside of Canada, a TRV will be automatically issued to you. You will receive instructions indicating how and where to mail your passport so that the TRV counterfoil can be affixed to your passport.

Students & workers with accompanying dependents

Please see the Accompanying Family Members page on renewing your documents if you have accompanying dependents. 

Back to top