Please visit our COVID-19 page for the latest news, resources, and FAQs.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services: MAY 2021:
1. Newly admitted international students should apply before MAY 15th to ensure they will receive their Study Permit on-time for the start of the Fall semester.
2. International students with a valid study permit (or approval letter) can travel to Canada (McGill is on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan).
3. 14-day quarantine is still required from ALL travellers entering Canada (even if vaccinated). For travellers arriving by air, the first three days of the quarantine must be done in a hotel designated by IRCC.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Tax information

Do I need to file a tax return in Canada?

You have to file a tax return if you owe tax, or if you want to claim tax credits or refunds.

Taxes are filed at 2 levels: the provincial level (Revenu Québec) and the federal level (Canada Revenue Agency)

Please refer to the Are you an International Student? page on the Canada Revenue Agency website and the New Residents page on the Revenu Quebec website for detailed information and instructions on how to submit your tax return, and how to claim credits and refunds.

DEADLINE:  Generally, your income tax return has to be filed on or before April 30 for the previous calendar year (Jan-Dec 2020).

Additional help:

  • McGill's Scholarship and Student Aid Office (SSAO) offered tax clinics in March and April - while they are now over, you can view their tax presentation.


*Please note that this is for informational purposes only and does not endorse any particular service.

Back to top