ISS will be closed Wednesday, February 21st until 12:30pm for an all-staff training.

ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Minors who are under 17 years of age


The age of majority in Quebec is 18. However, only minors under 17 are required to have a legal custodian. Therefore, If you will not be 17 years old by the time you travel to Canada, you must have a legal custodian in Montreal before starting immigration procedures to study at McGill. A custodian is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada who is at least 18 years old and resides with you or within a reasonable distance from you.

If you DO have a custodian in Montreal, please follow the instructions provided in the CAQ application by Immigration Quebec.

If you DO NOT have a custodian in Montreal - and you will be living in McGill Student Residences - you can request to have the Dean of Students act as your custodian by following the instructions below:


  1. Apply online for your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) through Immigration Quebec’s website.

  2. Once your online CAQ application has been submitted, you will receive a CAQ personalized checklist with a CAQ application number (6 digit number) found on the top right-hand corner of the checklist.

  3. Complete the Custodian Acknowledgement Letter and Passport Confidentiality Form. You must fill out all fields in the letter and include your CAQ application number. Incomplete letters and forms will not be processed.

  4. The Custodianship Request Letter must be signed by both parents. The Passport Confidentiality Form must be signed by the student.

  5. Once completed, please scan and send (in PDF format) your Custodianship Request Letter with both parents’ original signatures and your Passport Confidentiality Form to our office by submitting a request through our myISS Request Form. Important: make sure to write in the Please provide details section: “Custodianship Request Letter”.  

  6. Once we receive your Custodianship Request Letter and Passport Confidentiality Form, we will process it and send you the Custodianship Acknowledgement Letter signed by the Dean of Students as well as the Dean of Students' passport within 10 business days. Only once you have received the signed Custodianship Acknowledgement Letter and Dean of Students' passport, please ensure that you complete the mandatory Next of Kin Information Sheet (online webform).

  7. You may then submit the original Custodianship Request Letter and the Custodianship Acknowledgement Letter as well as the Dean of Students' passport with the supporting documents for your CAQ application. Please make sure to keep a copy of these documents for your Study Permit Application. 


Important Information:

In addition to the information above, please also review ISS' FAQs page.

Back to top