Cellphone service providers are different companies in Canada. Some students, particularly those from the U.S. may be able to extend their current plan to allow for their move to Canada. However, many students may find it cheaper and more practical to obtain a new cellphone and plan here in Montreal. Please note that our office does not endorse any one provider.
Getting a phone
Some companies will provide a free phone/device when you sign into a plan with them. However you can always check the McGill classifieds for used phones. Some service providers may also sell used certified phones at a discounted rate.
Deciding on a plan
- What is important to you to have?
- What will you use the phone for?
- Do you want to sign onto a plan (2-3 year contract) or use a pre-paid phone plan?
- Do you need long distance calling? International texting?
- Do you plan on using a smart phone? Do you need a data plan as well?
- Is the plan flexible? Can you add on or remove different services?
- What are overage charges should you go over your limit of text messaging, minutes or data?