ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Travel FAQs

Travel FAQs

Please review the official government resources before reviewing the FAQs. Many answers to your questions can be found on Immigration Canada's and Immigration Quebec's websites.

1. In order to enter Canada, do I need to be vaccinated?

Yes. All travellers must be fully vaccinated to enter Canada and should travel with a paper or digital copy of their proof of vaccination in English or French (or accompanied by a certified translation).

There is a limited list of exemptions, which includes:

  1. International students under the age of 18

Such students will need to follow the COVID-19 testing requirements (pre-entry, day 1 and day 8 tests) and are required to quarantine upon arrival to Canada for 14 days while monitoring for symptoms.

  1. Persons with contraindications. A contraindication to a COVID-19 vaccine dosage regimen is a medical reason that prevents a person from being fully vaccinated.

    Such persons must obtain a letter/medical note confirming that they have a contraindication to a COVID-19 vaccine dosage regimen from a physician who is licensed to practice medicine. Please note that it is not specified that the letter must be from a Canadian physician.

    Persons with contraindication will need to follow the COVID-19 testing requirements (pre-entry, day 1 and day 8 tests) and are not required to quarantine upon arrival to Canada for 14 days. However, they must comply with the health measures in force, monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their arrival, and have a quarantine plan ready should a border officer determine that they do not meet the conditions to be exempt from quarantine.

For the full list of exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, please refer to IRCC’s COVID-19 Travel: Checklists for requirements and exemptions page.

2. What are the list of accepted vaccines for travel to Canada?

The following COVID-19 vaccines are accepted for travel to and within Canada:

  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
  • Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
  • Medicago Covifenz
  • Moderna (Spikevax, mRNA-1273) including for children aged 6 to 11 years
  • Novavax (NVX-COV2373, Nuvaxovid, Covovax)
  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2) including for children aged 5 to 11 years
  • Sinopharm BIBP (BBIBP-CorV)
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)

3. Do I need to fill out the ArriveCan App before travelling to Canada?

Yes, all travellers entering Canada must use the ArriveCan app to submit their proof of vaccination status and their travel and contact information.

4. Do I need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Canada?

No. Pre-entry testing is no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada.

5. Am I required to quarantine upon my arrival to Canada?

Fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada are no longer required to quarantine upon arrival unless ordered to do so by a border officer or a Public Health agent.

6.Will I be required to take a covid-19 test upon arrival to Canada?

No, unless randomly selected to do so.

7. Can the airline deny me boarding my flight to Canada?

Everyone travelling to Canada by air is required to have the proper health and immigration documents before being allowed to board their flight. Airline officials are tasked with ensuring that all passengers meet these requirements. Anyone who does not meet these requirements may not be allowed to board their plane.

8. What documents should I have with me when travelling to Canada?

When entering Canada make sure that you bring all the following documents with you:

  1. a valid study permit or a copy of your Port of Entry Letter of Introduction (study permit approval letter)*;
  2. a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from McGill and proof of enrolment, if you are returning student;
  3. proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada;
  4. valid immigration medical examination results** if you have resided in a designated country or territory (meaning a country or territory for which they are required) for more than 6 months within the past year, or if you will be employed in a position that puts you in close contact with people, for example as:
    • a medical student
    • a student in a health sciences field who will have placements in health-care or home-care settings
    • an education student who will have placements in primary or secondary schools
  5. your CAQ (or CAQ approval letter);
  6. a valid eTA or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). * ONLY U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are exempt from needing an eTA or a TRV. For more information on entry requirements, see IRCC’s website;
  7. your passport;
  8. all other supporting documents you included in your study permit application.
  9. A paper or digital copy of your proof of vaccination documentation in English or French (or accompanied by a certified translation)

9. Is McGill on the list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan in place?

Yes. McGill is on the list of approved institutions.

10. Do I need an eTA or a TRV to travel to Canada?

Most travellers require an eTA or a TRV to travel to Canada. To find out which one you require, please refer to IRCC’s Entry Requirements page. You can also use the Find out if you need a visa to travel to Canada tool. Please note that U.S citizens and lawful permanent residents of the U.S are exempt from both the eTA and TRV requirement.

When applying for your study permit from outside of Canada, an eTA or a TRV will be issued to you upon the approval of your application.

11. Can I enter Canada as a visitor while I wait for the approval of my study permit application submitted from outside of Canada?

It is NOT recommended that you travel to Canada as a Visitor:

As the purpose of international students is to enter Canada to study, they should not be entering Canada as a visitor (i.e. without a valid study permit or study permit approval letter) as it is very likely that entry to Canada will be denied. In addition, international students who do not hold a valid CAQ and study permit cannot study in Canada, whether their classes are in-person or remote.

12. What do I do if I do not obtain my study permit approval for the beginning of the Fall 2022 term?

We do not advise that international students make travel plans until they have obtained all of their immigration documents.

For international undergraduate students, they may request academic accommodation from their professors for classes they will have missed up to the add/drop deadline (September 13, 2022). Such accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis. International students also have until the add/drop deadline to request a deferral.

For international graduate students, deferrals and academic accommodations for late arrivals are handled at the Departmental level. For questions regarding deferrals and/or academic accommodations for late arrivals, please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator directly.

Back to top