Quick Links

Traveling to the USA

Please note: The staff at International Student Services cannot advise on immigration requirements for the US, however we can direct you to relevant information (below).

US Temporary Visas


There is general information about obtaining US Visas to visit, to study, or to work in the US, please visit Travel.State.Gov (A service of the Bureau of Consular Affairs).

For a Non-Immigrant visa, you are required to schedule an appointment through the Official US Visa Information and Appointment Service.

For the direct link to the online Non-Immigrant Visa application, click here.

If you have questions or need information about the immigration documents you need to travel to the US, please contact:

US Consulate General in Montréal
1155 rue Saint-Alexandre

Montréal, Québec
H3B 3Z1

Once a year, US Consular representatives come to campus to give a presentation on "Traveling to the US".  If you missed this year's presentation (in September), you can still refer to the information leaflet that was distributed.


  • To re-enter Canada, make sure that your Passport and Study Permit are valid
  • Print your Proof of Registration from MINERVA

For students who are from countries that require Temporary Resident Visas (Entry Visa - TRV) to enter Canada:

a)  If you are ONLY visiting the US and travelling by land: you do not need the TRV when returning from the U.S.A. However, we recommend renewing your TRV if possible.

b)  If you are ONLY visiting the US and travelling by air: please confirm with your airline.