ISS will be closed Monday, May 20th for the long holiday weekend.

ISS is available virtually and in-person Mondays-Fridays during business hours.

Inviting Your Family

Family arriving at the airport

Invitation Letter

If you are inviting your family to visit you, you can write them a letter of invitation to accompany their Temporary Resident Visa (i.e. Entry Visa) application.  Please note: Immigration Canada requires the individual issuing the invitation to write the letter; McGill cannot write this letter on your behalf.  

Here is a Sample Invitation Letter for reference.

In addition to the information required by Immigration Canada , you can also include a copy of your Study Permit as well as any other evidence that you are a student at McGill (e.g. copy of student card, proof of enrolment from Minerva).

Inviting your Spouse:

If you are inviting your spouse to stay with you during the duration of your studies, he/she may be eligible apply for an Open Work Permit based on your full-time student status, valid Study Permit and program/level of studies.

Inviting Dependent Children:

More detailed information about inviting your family - including dependent children and childcare options - can be found on our Bringing Family website.


Contact us 

In addition to the information above, please also review ISS' FAQs page.

Back to top