All services continue to be offered remotely during regular business hours.


Please visit our COVID-19 page for the latest news, resources, and FAQs.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services
International students with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter can now travel to Canada as long as they are registered at a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. McGill is one of the institutions on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. Students travelling to Canada will need to have a self-quarantine plan to ensure that they can self-isolate for 14 days after arrival.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Eligibility for Exemption

Before reviewing the information below, please see ISS' COVID-19 FAQs and resources pages for up to date information on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration related matters.

You may qualify for an exemption if you:

  • are a citizen and a resident of Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Belgium, Romania or Greece and you have obtained RAMQ coverage;
  • are sponsored by the Canadian Bureau for International Education(CBIE);
  • are sponsored by the Canadian International Development Agency(CIDA);
  • are sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau(SACB);
  • received an award from the International Council for Canadian Studies(ICCS);
  • exchange through DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service;
  • have a diplomatic visa in Canada;
  • are a dependent of a worker at an organization that is under the PDF icon umbrella of United Nations, an NGO or a non-profit international organization; such as: the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the European Union etc.
  • are a non-resident of Canada i.e. must have thesis away or term-away status on transcripts*; 

*For information on the International Health Insurance plan for students who will be starting or completing the Fall 2020 term outside of Canada, please refer to our Health Insurance FAQ's on our COVID-19 resource page

  • have a valid Quebec Medicare card; or
  • online Graduate Certificates offered by McGill University's School of Physical and Occupational Therapy.

Please review the supporting documents that are required for each above category.

Back to top