Before reviewing the information below, please see ISS' COVID-19 FAQs and resources pages for up to date information on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration related matters.
Need to apply for - or amend - an immigration document?*
Take the Greyhound Bus to the Border!
*Please consult the ISS website to ensure that you are eligible.
There are TWO large border crossings close to Montreal. Both will be able to help you with immigration documents, but the time that buses leave (and number of buses per day) will vary.
- Lacolle, Quebec & Champlain, New York
- St. Armand/Philipsburg, Quebec & Highgate, Vermont
It is recommended to buy your ticket online
- When on the Greyhound website, you will leave from Montreal, PQ
- Your destination will be either 'US Ca Customs, NY' or 'US Ca Customs, VT'
It is recommended to buy your ticket online in advance in case buses become full
Or, you can buy your ticket in person at:
Gare d’autocars de Montreal (1717 rue Berri) and let them know that you need to go to the border on a round-trip visit. It is recommended you be at the bus station at least 1 hour prior to departure. The Gare d'autocars de Montreal is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
(The approximate cost for a roundtrip ticket from Montreal to the border is $42CAD.)
Buses to the border leave at 7:30AM and at 9:00AM.
- Given the waiting time for the bus returning to Montreal, we suggest that you bring a good book and/or pack a lunch with you! There is no wifi at the border.
- Costs and times vary. The above information was obtained in March 2016 and may be subject to changes.
For more questions, call Greyhound Customer Service at 1-800-231-2222