A full-time course load in the Faculty of Management is 4-5 courses (12-15 credits) per term; a full year is normally 30 credits. This credit total includes courses taken at McGill and, if applicable, concurrent courses taken through the Québec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT).
CREDITS PER TERM/YEAR
|REGULATIONS TO CONSIDER
|12 credits minimum per term
|17 credits maximum per term
|14 credits maximum per term
|27 graded (non-S/U) credits minimum per year
(both the Fall and Winter terms, excludes Summer term_)
Summer course registration
- The maximum number of credits you may take in the Summer session is 12 credits. This credit total includes McGill courses and courses taken at another host university during the Summer term.
- The McGill schedule of lectures in Summer courses is very intensive; therefore, you may not register for more than two courses in any one McGill Summer term.
Part-time student status
If you are registered for fewer than 12 credits in a semester, you are considered to be a part-time student in that semester. Students are advised to consult with their service providers to ensure that they are meeting the necessary course load requirements to maintain services. If a student wishes to reduce their course load to below 12 credits, they are advised to have documentation on hand to support their decision should they need to justify their reduced course load to a service provider at a later date. If you are considering reducing your course load to less than 12 credits, your part-time status may affect the following:
|WHO TO CONTACT
|Scholarships or financial aid
|Scholarships and Student Aid
|CAQ or international study permit
|International Student Services
|Loans, RESPs, health insurance
|Bank, health insurance provider, etc.
Exceeding 17 credits per semester
If you wish to register for more than 17 credits per term (and maximum of 19 credits per term) for Fall/Winter, or more than 12 credits for Summer, please make an appointment with a BCom Academic Advisor.
Please note that grades for your preceding term of study MUST be available in order for your request to be reviewed. This means that, for example, if you are requesting a course overload for the Winter semester, your Fall grades and CGPA must be available before a decision can be made.
- If you are a newly-admitted student, you must wait until you have completed a full year of studies before you can apply for a course overload.
- If your McGill CGPA is above 3.50, your request will normally be approved with good reason.
- If your CGPA is below 3.50, there will need to be more justification as to the reason why you wish to exceed your credits in writing.