Rules and Regulations

Students entering the Faculty of Management for the first time are required to attend an Orientation and Advising Session during the last week of August, at which time the staff from the BCom Student Affairs Office provide information on all aspects of the BCom program. Students who have had difficulty registering for their courses have the opportunity to resolve their problems after this session.

Academic advising for all returning students takes place in February and March for the upcoming academic year. "Drop-in" advising is available in the BCom Student Affairs Office from mid-August until the end of September. Appointments may be made as of October 1, to discuss programs of study with student advisers. In February or March, an Information Session takes place that aids the student to select a course of study for specialization. In April, students continuing in the BCom Program plan their studies for the following year using the requirements as listed in the Calendar, or in the Degree Evaluation Module available through Minerva, as a guide to their course selection. Advice is available at the BCom Student Affairs Office for students having difficulty. Students register online using Minerva at

General Management students choosing to do a Minor in another Faculty as their second area of study should meet with the appropriate department adviser to plan their courses. It should be noted that Minors must have a minimum of 18 credits not overlapping with other program requirements.

Students taking the Minor, Major, or Honours in Economics must see an adviser in the BCom Student Affairs Office for approval of their program and course selection.

Students in the Major Concentration or Minor in Mathematics, or Statistics, must have their Study Plan Form initially authorized by the appropriate department adviser prior to submission to the BCom Student Affairs Office.

Students requesting general information about the program, or encountering difficulties (academic or personal), should contact a student adviser as soon as possible. Students with specific career goals should consult a student adviser about their choice of program within the BCom Program.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Get the latest Covid-19 updates and learn what to expect for McGill’s return to campus this Fall, 2021.

For Desautels specific updates please visit our COVID-19 FAQ page.

Back to top