Study Away refers to an academic activity where students independently pursue courses at a host institution and receive credits from the home university. Students apply to the host institution directly, paying their fees and following their deadlines.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be a registered BCom student in the current academic year
- Have a CGPA of at least:
- 2.70 for study in the fall or winter terms
- 2.00 for study in the summer term
For Summer Studies Opportunities, please refer to Partner Opportunities Abroad. Note that these programs will be considered an independent study-away. Before submitting an application, be sure to first check in with the BCom office and remember to take note of any study away application deadlines.
- Step 1: Select host institution
- Step 2: Course equivalency and transfer credits
- Step 3: Apply for Study Away
- Review Special Notes
Step 1: Select host institution
Find a host institution and verify their admission requirements and application deadlines. Before submitting a Minerva Independent Study Away application, ensure that the host university is currently accepting students to study on campus as non-degree, fee-paying Visiting Student and that you meet the host university's eligibility requirements.
Step 2: Course equivalency and transfer credits
Get your course assessed for equivalency and verify course requirements. Consult the Course equivalency and transfer credits page for details.
Step 3: Apply for Study Away
After the courses have been assessed as equivalent:
- Apply for Study Away in Minerva before the deadline. The application opens on March 1:
- Summer: August 15
- Fall: August 15
- Winter: December 15
- Statements of Purpose are required for Study Away in the Fall and Winter terms only.
- Fill out the Transfer Credit Assessment Form on Minerva.
- bcom.mgmt [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Study%20Away%20application%20submitted) (E-mail the BCom Office) at bcom.mgmt [at] mcgill.ca that a form has been completed. Please include your student ID number and the country where you plan to study in your email.
- After the BCom Office has been notified, a BCom Adviser will review/approve the application for Study Away and review/approve the courses.
- Once all approvals are completed, a letter of permission will be generated on Minerva. Please retain this letter since the information it contains may be required by the host institution.
Things to Note About Study Away
- Please allow 5 to 7 business days for approvals.
- Approval does NOT guarantee you will be able to get into your chosen course(s).
- No credits will be granted for online management courses. We will require proof that management courses are on campus courses before credits are granted.
- A maximum of 6 credits will be granted for online non-management electives only.
- Students on US aid cannot receive any credits for online courses. Learn more
- The maximum number of credits that can be transferred includes: Exchange, Study Away (summer courses) and Inter University Transfer courses. A maximum of 12 credits for your major, 6 credits for your concentration or minor and 9 credits for management core from any institution other than McGill University.
- The BCom Office makes all final decisions regarding course approvals.
- You are responsible to have the host institution provide your home university with a copy of your Official Transcript of grades from your Study Away.
- If you decide not to do your Study Away, you must inform the BCom Office in writing. Failing to do so may delay graduation.
- Please ensure that minor courses are approved by the minor adviser
- It is your responsibility to ensure you meet the McGill BCom requirements for all courses taken.