International Exchange Program
Students are encouraged to take advantage of opportunities to study abroad for a term or year. The international exposure and academic experience gained by taking part in student exchange are highly worthwhile. Through this program, students may study and earn academic credits at over 70 universities in countries around the world. Exchange opportunities are open to students in most specializations.
Exchange Application Process
Students must attend one of the BCom Information Sessions in the Fall term.
BCom Exchange Info Sessions: TBD
There is a CGPA requirement of 3.0 to be eligible for exchange.
More information may be obtained from the BCom Student Affairs Office at 514-398-4068, studentexchange [dot] mgmt [at] mcgill [dot] ca or on the McGill website.
Exchange Application Deadline 2016: TBD
For a list of our Direct Bilateral Partners, please click here.
Now that you are accepted to go on Exchange
Exchange Course Approval Process:
At least two-thirds of all departmental program requirements must be completed at McGill . Once accepted, students must obtain written faculty authorization for transfer credits before leaving for exchange.
The following is a list of steps that you must follow in order to ensure that your application is processed as efficiently as possible.
Visit the McGill Course Equivalency System to verify if the courses you wish to take are already in the database. If the courses are not listed, you can Login, click Home and Submit a new Request. Please ensure course outlines to be reviewed contain the following detailed information: thorough description, breakdown of topics covered, method of evaluation and course materials, and credit weight and/or hours.
After the courses have been assessed as equivalent, fill out the Transfer Credit Assessment Form in Minerva and notify the BCom Office at studentexchange [dot] mgmt [at] mcgill [dot] ca that a form has been completed.
After the BCom Office has been notified, a BCom Exchange Adviser will approve the courses. The course approval process will then be completed. If you wish to add new courses, steps 1 to 3 must be followed again.
Important information regarding exchange:
- Courses you take abroad are not pass/fail. You will receive a grade from the host school which will transfer as credits on your McGill transcripts, however, grades will not be calculated into your McGill GPA.
- You may receive a maximum of 12 credits for your major, 6 credits for your concentration or minor and 9 credits for management core from any institution other than McGill Univeristy. There is no limit for elective credits. The IB Concentration is the only exception where you may receive up to 12 credits for courses taken outside of McGill. Note: the maximum number of credits that can be transferred includes: Exchange, Study Away (summer courses) and Inter University Transfer courses.
- You are permitted a maximum of 6 credits of topics courses towards any specialization. The maximum total includes courses taken at McGill and other institutions.
- Students intending to pursue the CPA program should be aware that accounting courses approved by the BCom office and taken abroad may not meet the requirements for the CPA program. It is your responsibility to verify course requirements with the specific order where you plan to complete your CPA.
- The host school will include visa information in their acceptance materials. For visa related issues, please contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will be studying.
- Please update your specialization to reflect the program you are currently pursuing. https://www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/plan/changing/
- Please ensure that minor courses are approved by the minor adviser http://www.mcgill.ca/students/advising/advisordirectory/
- For information about course offerings at the host institution, residences and add/drop deadlines please consult the website or contact the exchange office of the host school.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you meet the McGill BCom requirements for all courses taken on exchange.
- If you decide to cancel Exchange you need to fill out the Request to Cancel Exchange Term Form