The same hiring process is used for all types of employees.
Step 1: Complete appropriate position request form and send it to hr.mgmt [at] mcgill.ca:
- Graders/Tutors: Request Form: Graders/Tutors
- Non-academic (AMUSE), Research Assistants (AMURE): request_to_create_position_amure_-_amuse.pdf
Step 2: HR will create the position and job posting
Step 3: Candidates apply
- Internal Candidates (candidates that hold positions in Workday): workday_-_application_guide_-_internal_candidate.pdf
- External Candidates (candidates without current Workday positions): workday_-_application_guide_-_external_candidate.pdf
Step 4: HR will hire the desired candidate in Workday
- For positions covered by a collective agreement, all hiring/posting rules will be applied.
*All employees must be legally allowed to work in Canada, and be prepared to provide their SIN when they apply.*
Hourly employees will submit their hours in Workday. The Manager in Workday will need to approve these hours in Workday in order for the payment to be processed.
For Graders, Tutors, and Research Assistants, the Manager role is held by the supervising instructor.
Due to HR rules, sessional instructors cannot be assigned a Manager role. For Graders/Tutors hired to support a sessional instructor, local HR staff will fulfill the role of Manager.
By accepting a research assistant or non-academic casual position, an employee automatically joins the appropriate union:
Association of McGill University Research Employees
Founded in 2010, AMURE regroups research associates and research assistants working at McGill. In June 2015, the postdocs paid by McGill voted to become a certified association also with AMURE. Learn more
All Research Associates & Assistants are required to fill out this form and submit to AMURE.
Association of McGill University Support Employees
AMUSE is a labour union that represents temporary clerical and support staff at McGill. This includes both students and non-students in part-time and full-time positions. Learn more
All temporary Clerical & Support Staff are required to fill out this form and submit to AMUSE.
Desautels HR Team
Email: hr.mgmt [at] mcgill.ca
Human Resources Service Center
Email: hr.hr [at] mcgill.ca