Ranking among peer institutions
Desautels Faculty of Management is...
- Ranked 1st in Canada and 10th globally in MMA programs (QS Masters in Business Analytics Rankings 2021)
- Ranked 1st in Canada and 17th internationally out of 166 MMF programs (QS Masters in Finance Rankings 2021)
- Ranked 59th globally out of 258 MBA programs (QS 2021 Global MBA Rankings)
McGill University is...
- 1st in Canada among Medical-Doctoral Universities (Maclean's University Rankings 2021)
- 31st in the world (QS World University Rankings 2021)
- 1st in Canada and 18th in the world for undergraduate programs for female founders; 2nd in Canada and tied 30th globally in the top 50 undergraduate programs producing startup founders (2020 PitchBook University rankings)
- 42nd university in the world out of almost 1,400 universities across 92 countries (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020)
Desautels is growing
As the international business community’s continue to evolve, Desautels is growing – both in our course offerings and our facilities. The campus now reflects the scale of Desautels’s sense of ambition and purpose.
In 2019, the Faculty launched a free online personal finance course called McGill Personal Finance Essentials, in collaboration with RBC Future Launch and The Globe and Mail. This bilingual course is open to all Canadians.
An unrivaled undergraduate program
With over 7,000 applicants and 50% of our student body coming from outside Canada, our BCom program continues to be one of the most selective and international undergraduate management education programs in the world. The opening of the new Armstrong Building has liberated over 10,000 ft.² of space for our BCom students in the Bronfman Building while providing them additional teaching and study spaces in the Concourse.
Case competition excellence
In 2017, McGill launched the first-ever McGill International Portfolio Challenge (MIPC), and in 2018, the Bensadoun School of Retail Management partnered with the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) to launch the first (R)Tech Global Retail Challenge to address the complex issues facing the global retail industry. Each year, Desautels undergraduate and graduate students garnered several big wins in international case competitions.
A catalyst for future leaders
TeamMTL, a collaboration between students and faculty from McGill University and Concordia University, competed to construct the best solar-powered house for SOLAR DECATHLON CHINA 2018. Setting a winning record, the team won first prize in three categories, including Market Appeal, to which Roman Celac (BCom ’18) and Jiawei Lin (MBA ’18) were instrumental. Celac and Lin were introduced to the project through the Integrated Management Student Fellows program of the Marcel Desautels Institute for Integrated Management (MDIIM).
With faculty hailing from every corner of the globe, the Desautels Faculty of Management provides a truly global approach and perspective to teaching and research. Most of our faculty are involved in research and collaborations that cross international borders.
A hub for entrepreneurship & social entreprise
McGill University ranks #1 in Canada for developing successful Female Founders and #2 Canada for producing overall competitive startup Founders (Pitchbook Universities 2020 Ranking). The Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship is the hub of entrepreneurship at the University, working with over 10 Faculties to offer high quality programs to startups at every juncture of their growth, from idea to investment-readiness.
The Dobson Centre aims to support McGill affiliated founders in building innovative companies with a purpose. With over 409 active startups, the Centre has supported the creation of over 5,900 jobs since 1988. Its graduating startups have raised over $770 millions to date.
The McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship has grown considerably since its founding in 1988 under the late John Dobson, BCom’49, a known advocate for free enterprise and entrepreneurship. The Foundation has continued to offer financial support to advance the Centre's efforts, including a $2 million gift to support the McGill X-1 Accelerator in 2017 and a $3 million gift in July 2020.
Exceptional career prospects
Located in the Soutar Career Centre, Career Services at Desautels is dedicated to helping students develop their career management skills and explore career paths that enable them to ultimately achieve their career goals. Innovative programs, workshops and speaker series coupled with an integrated learning approach prepare our students and give them the skills to make an impact in their careers throughout their lifetime.
See our latest employment statistics to learn why employers recognize the quality of a Desautels graduate:
Our degree programs and courses in Managing for Sustainability have been recognized for their innovative design, and the research interests of many of our faculty members focus on the economic, environmental, and social impacts of conducting business.
Professor Dror Etzion’s Sustainability & Environmental Accounting class, for instance, won the 2017 Aspen Institute Business & Society Program Ideas Worth Teaching Award.
In 2019, the Desautels Sustainability Network received the Catalyst Award for Connectivity, Governance & Administration—the highest recognition at McGill for leadership in sustainability.
In 2017, Corporate Knights Green Campus Ranking recognized McGill as the second greenest campus in Canada. Evaluation criteria included initiatives undertaken to improve environmental impact (including green buildings), greenhouse gas emissions, sustainable transportation, purchasing, and waste management.
The finest students & notable Desautels alumni
More than any other Canadian university, McGill can lay claim to an astounding 145 Rhodes Scholars. Among these, four Rhodes Scholars hail from the Desautels Faculty of Management.
- 2015: Joanna Klimczak, BCom'2014
- 1983-84: William Hinz, BCom'83, DipEd'88, MA'91
- 1979: John Charles Collis, BCom'79
- 1946: Mervyn Lester Weiner, BCom'43
A small sample of the over 30,000 hugely successful alumni we have around the globe
- Inez Jabapurwala, MBA'01, CEO Brain Canada and NeuroScience Canada Partnership
- Samira Sakhia, BCom’90, DPA’94, MBA’01, President, Knight Therapeutics Inc.
- Alain Bellemare, MBA’93, President-International, Delta Airlines
- Rima Qureshi, BCom’87, MBA’96, Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Bertrand Cesvet, MBA'88, Executive Chairman and Senior Partner, Sid Lee
- The Honorable Jeanne Atherden, BCom’69, Bermuda Parliament, Minister of Health, Seniors and the Environment
- Seymour Schulich, MBA'65, Chairman & CEO, Nevada Capital Corp Ltd
- William Shatner, BCom’52, Actor
Want to know more about McGill?
Last updated: February 9, 2021