Online application form
All music applicants must complete an online application for admission to McGill University.You may also add the following in the application:
- Music Information: you can use this area to describe your musical experience including performance and theoretical studies.
- Use the "statement of intent" field to briefly tells us about yourself, why you want to study at the Schulich School of Music and what you hope to do once you complete your degree. You can copy and paste up to 2000 characters in this area.
Supporting materials for all music applicants
- Music Reference Letter
- One Music Reference Letter (letter must be emailed by referee). See below for instructions for referees.
- We need unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions you have attended, unless you are a CEGEP or Ontario high school student applying through OUAC. We will only ask for your official transcripts (sent to us by the institution directly) if you receive an offer of admission.
Self Report Grades in Minerva: For High Schools in Canada (outside Ontario and Quebec) and the United States, you must self-report your grade 11 and 12 marks through a designated web form via Minerva.
- Audition material
- Prepare a recorded audition if you cannot participate in on-campus auditions.
- Proof of English proficiency
- You may be required to demonstrate profiency in English. Visit McGill's Applying website to find out if this applies to you.
Instructions for referees:
Please undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (email) a PDF letter (maximum one page) providing information concerning the applicant’s musical, academic and/or personal background to help us evaluate their qualifications for admission.
Additional program-specific materials
- Written scores for 2 or 3 of your compositions in a single PDF document. If you have recordings available of these compositions (mp3), send us these as well. See How to Apply for submission details.
- You can also provide other “composition-related” works like advanced harmony exercises, arrangements, orchestrations or papers written about composition (analysis, presentations, etc.).
- A music reference letter, in pdf format, that clearly states that it is in support of your application to the Music Education program. It must be undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (emailed) directly from a music teacher or someone who can attest to your potential as a music educator.
Non-degree Sound Recording qualifying year (for the M.Mus. program)
- On the application form, you apply as an undergraduate non-degree special student.
- In your statement of intent (in the online application form), describe your interest in pursuing undergraduate prerequisite classes in sound recording.
- You will provide sound recording demos with written descriptions (if available). See How to Apply for submission details.
- Letters of recommendation are not required.
- No audition is required.
- An application fee will be charged.