Music Education Area

Girl holding pencil while looking at music book

The concurrent Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education program is a comprehensive music teacher training program that allows students to complete both degrees simultaneously. The program provides hands-on experience and prepares students to teach at all levels (elementary & secondary) and in all areas (band, choral, & general music) of music education. Our graduates have been sought out and employed in schools all around the world.

Learn more

Graduate studies in music education (M.A. and Ph.D) offer students the opportunity to explore current issues in music education. An in-depth examination of pertinent research literature forms the basis for these programs. Experienced and supportive faculty who are regularly published in the field’s leading journals make this an ideal environment in which to study.

The Music Education staff includes prominent researchers in areas such as musical development, music perception, conducting, performance techniques, philosophical issues in music education, music performance adjudication, and music technology.

The Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education is an integrated 5-year, 157-credit program that leads to a brevet (certification) as a teacher in the province of Quebec. This concurrent program combines academic studies in Music, professional studies, and field experience in each year and offers students the opportunity to obtain a Bachelor of Music degree and a Bachelor of Education degree in addition to teaching certification. The program also offers graduate training at the Masters and Doctoral levels.


Our programs


Graduate Admissions

Program overview, admissions and requirements:

Area Coordinator: Dr. Lisa Lorenzino
See Global TV Interview - 'How to become a Music Teacher' with Dr. Lorenzino

Complete faculty listing: Music Education area

The McGill Music Education Area is represented by the Music Education Undergraduate Student's Association (MEdUSA). You can view their webpage for more information.

For admissions information, see our Undergraduate Admissions and Graduate Admissions webpages.

Back to top