History

Important Dates

1904: Founding of the McGill Conservatorium of Music

1908: McGill's first university symphonic ensemble is created

1920: McGill Conservatorium becomes the Faculty of Music

1971: Opening of the Strathcona Music Building

1975: Inauguration of Pollack Hall

1981: McGill becomes the first university in Canada to offer a BMus degree in jazz performance

2000: Founding of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technolgy (CIRMMT)

2005: Inauguration of the New Music Building (renamed in 2015)

2005: Following a historic gift from Seymour Schulich, the Faculty is renamed the Schulich School of Music

2015: The New Music Building is renamed in honour of Elizabeth Wirth, following a large gift for student programs