For programs normally requiring screening material, screening for Fall 2023 is not required. Please continue to monitor the admission website for any adjustments to the admission process and audition repertoire.
You can either attend an on-campus audition or submit a recorded audition.
Auditions Dates 2023: February 25 to March 5, 2023
- Audition dates by instrument are posted HERE.
- You will receive an audition email from our Admissions Office, by the beginning of February, with details of your audition (date, time, location, accompanist).
- You must reply to this email to confirm whether or not you will attend.
- Screening for Jazz and Voice will not be required for Fall 2023 admission.
To Prepare for Your On-Campus Audition:
- Check your audition repertoire requirements. Choose material that you are comfortable playing and that showcases your musicianship and technical proficiency.
- If you are coming from outside Canada, check with Immigration Canada for travel document and health requirements.
- Applicants with disabilities who require accommodations in order to participate in the audition process must notify the undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (admissions office) in advance of their audition date.
On Audition Day:
IMPORTANT: PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING
- Review and adhere to Health Guidelines (includes info on mask, distancing.)
- Review the required screening questions on the morning of your planned visit and refrain from coming to campus if you answer yes to any of the questions. If you cannot attend your on campus audition you will be given the opportunity to submit a recorded audition. Please contact the admissions office as soon as possible in this situation.
- In order to limit the number of people in our buildings we ask that only applicants and accompanists (if applicable) who are auditioning enter the music buildings. We apologize to parents, family, etc. for this inconvenience.
- For applicants travelling from outside Canada please ensure you adhere to all Travel Guidelines.
- For applicants who wishes to bring their own accompanist please contact jennifer.stephenson [at] mcgill.ca (Ms Jennifer Stephenson) in the performance office for additional information.
You must upload a video recording through our music upload form. This will be considered as your audition. Your recording should be up to 30 minutes long, depending on the requirements listed for your instrument.
If you cannot participate in on-campus auditions due to date conflicts or travel constraints, you must upload a video recording through our music upload form. This will be considered as your final audition. Your recording should be up to 30 minutes long, depending on the requirements listed for your instrument.
- Review your repertoire requirements. If we have not provided sample pieces, choose your own material from your instrument’s traditional repertoire. Select material that highlights your musicianship and technical proficiency.
- Make sure the sound quality on your video recording is very good. Re-record a piece if it does not sound clear. Your recordings should be less than 6 months old.
- Follow the instructions to upload your video(s) by February 1st, 2022. We accept 'avi', 'mov', 'mp4' and 'wmv' formats. Upload times will depend on file size and upload speed (determined by service provider).
- Include a list of your recordings and repertoire with your uploaded materials.
- For some instruments you can send multiple videos (one video per piece). Please review audition repertoire for any exceptions.
- If you are a composition applicant, you can upload your composition samples (due by February 1) at the same time.