Tuition and Funding

Tuition and Practical Instruction Fees

  • The tuition rate varies based on your residency status and the program to which you are admitted.
  • Typical annual fees based on 30 credits of full-time studies can be found on the Student Accounts website.

    In addition to the per-credit tuition rate, a Music Private Lesson Fee is also charged when you register for practical instruction during the semester. Supplemental private lesson fees will incur if you are a part-time student. Please refer to the Schulich School of Music fees for details about the music private lesson fees.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Different funding opportunities are available for new and returning students.

New Students


Entrance Scholarships

Music Entrance scholarships are automatically considered for music scholarships when applying to one of our programs by the admissions deadline.
These are recommended by Department Chairs, in consultation with Area Chairs, to outstanding applicants based on audition results.

Academic Entrance Scholarships

Academic entrance scholarships for music students are open to applicants entering university for the first-time and based on academic record. Applicants are automatically reviewed for general academic scholarships.

Major academic entrance scholarships are offered to students who meet the academic and leadership requirements. Follow this link for application procedures and required documents

  • If you have been offered a major academic entrance scholarship, your offer letter is included in the admission package.
    Please make sure you accept your offer of admission online via Minerva, and return a signed copy of the scholarship offer letter before May 1st of the year of admission to the [at] (Music Undergraduate Admissions Office).

Renewable Scholarships

The Schulich School of Music offers a range of prestigious renewable scholarships based on academic and performance achievements. In any given year, sixty Schulich Scholars hold renewable Schulich Scholarships valued at $6,000 (undergraduate) and $11,000 (graduate). Renewable Lloyd Carr-Harris String Scholarships, valued between $6,000 and $18,000, are awarded to our most promising incoming string students.

  • If you apply to one of our programs by the admissions deadline and meet minimum academic requirements, you will be automatically considered for a renewable scholarship.
  • Recipients are expected to maintain a strong academic standing throughout the tenure of their award. Students whose sessional GPA or CGPA falls below 3.50, and Performance Majors whose performance tutorial/practical exam grade falls below “A”, will be subject to review and may not be eligible for a renewal of their award.
  • In addition to the CGPA criteria mentioned above, renewable scholarship recipients must also abide by the credit load conditions for in-course music scholarships.
  • Recipients of a Schulich renewable scholarship must return a signed copy of the agreement to the Dean’s Office each year to remain eligible for renewal.

Entrance Bursary

McGill Entrance Bursary Program offers entrance bursaries to students from low to modest income families who demonstrate financial need. You are eligible to apply if you are a newly accepted, first-year, first-degree undergraduate student. You are not required to pay back these funds.

  • You must apply within 30 days from the date of your offer of admission.
    You can apply using Minerva: select the Financial Aid/Awards Tab > Financial Aid Menu > Apply for McGill Financial Aid > Apply for Entrance Bursary > Update your financial aid profile and submit your application.

Government Aid, McGill Loans and Bursaries

See the links below for more information on :

Current Students

Music In-Course Awards

In-Course Awards are merit-based awards, that are granted through the Dean’s Office to students who are registered in a Schulich School of Music program. These awards come in the form of scholarships, awards, prizes or bursaries at the discretion of the Dean and the Schulich School of Music Scholarships Committee. Details on merit-based awards can be found on the Scholarship and Student Aid website

  • No applications are required. All eligible students will automatically be considered. Awards are generally made in June on the basis of academic standing during the preceding fall and winter terms. You will be notified by email in July if you are a recipient of an in-course award.

Eligibility requirements:

  • To be eligible, a student must have successfully completed a minimum of 27 credits TOTAL in the fall and winter semesters in the preceding academic year.
  • Pass/Fail (P/F) courses, MUPD 135 and MUPD 235, are included in the credit load considered for scholarships.
  • Summer courses are excluded from the credit load considered for in-course awards.
  • Courses flagged with the satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) option will be excluded from the credit load considered for scholarships.
  • Credits for outstanding incomplete courses, withdrawals or deferrals will not be considered for in-course awards.
  • You must be registered full-time (i.e., at least 12 credits per term) in a McGill undergraduate degree program to receive full payment of an annual award.
  • If you are registered for only one term, you must earn a minimum of 14 credits to retain the scholarship.

See a list of all available Prizes, Awards and Scholarships.

Detailed information on undergraduate scholarships can be found on the Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards University Calendar.

  • Contact [at] if you have more questions about Music scholarships and awards.

Financial Aid for Non-Credit Activities

Scholarship and Student Aid Office (SSAO) offers a financial aid program for students who are interested in pursuing music related activities outside the classroom. This program will enhance your educational experience. Additional information on the Enriched Educational Opportunities (EEO) Bursary program is available here.

Government Aid, McGill Loans and Bursaries

The Student Aid and Scholarship Office administers McGill bursaries and loans on the basis of financial need for all McGill students. This office also offers information on other student-eligible, government financial aid programs.
Contact Student Aid and Scholarship Office for more information on government aid and McGill bursaries and loans.

US students attending McGill may apply for loans through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Detailed information on how to apply, who can apply, annual borrowing limits, deadlines and how funds are received is available on the Scholarships and Student Aid Office’s website.


questions and answers Frequently Asked Questions

When am I expected to pay tuition and fees?

3 major payment deadlines:

  • Due late August, your first tuition payment for your fall courses only. To avoid fee penalties, you should pay the complete balance of your first e-Bill for the academic year by the due date.
  • Due late September, a second statement which will include the revised fees for course changes you have made as a result of your placement exams and ensemble auditions.
  • Due early January, you will receive a fee statement in early December for your winter courses.

You will be able to view fees based on your registered courses in early August.

  • To view fees, log into Minerva > Student Accounts Menu > Account Summary by Term

How do I know how much to pay?

You will be notified through your McGill email address that your monthly e-bill is ready to be viewed on Minerva.

Go to Student Accounts > e-Billing and e-Payment Menu > View e-Bills.  Learn more about e-Billing features here.

I am a US citizen with dual Canadian citizenship. How can I be sure I am paying Canadian tuition fees?

You are required to provide proof of Canadian citizenship in order to determine the correct tuition fee rate. Find out which documents to provide and where to provide them.

I will receive the results from the placement exams and ensemble auditions during the first week of class. What should I do with the August e-Bill??

You should still pay the full balance of the August e-Bill by the August 31st due date to avoid a late payment fee. You will receive a second e-Bill in September once you have completed your fall registration by the add/drop deadline.

How do I make a payment?

Whether you are making a payment within Canada, from the USA or from other parts of the world, you can find an accessible way to transfer funds to McGill in order to pay your fees. See Student Accounts for more information

I've been told that I only need to register for 24 credits to be considered full time.  Is this true?

Yes, 24 credits is considered full time. At this credit load, a scholarship would not be taken away. However, in order to be eligible for scholarship consideration or renewal in the next academic year, students must register for 27 credits in the preceding year.

What if I am graduating, and do not have enough credits remaining to register as a full-time student?  Can I still accept my scholarship?

Yes. An exception can be made in your graduating year with Departmental approval.

Who do I speak with if I think I should be eligible for a music scholarship, but am not sure I will automatically considered?

Scholarships are awarded primarily based on sessional GPA, level of achievement on your practical instrument, and by Area recommendation. The Scholarships Committee includes all Area Chairs in the decision-making process in order to ensure all students are well represented. You may meet with your Area Chair to request increased financial support.

When will I receive my scholarship funds?

Scholarships and awards are normally credited to a student's fee account.
For any amount above $450, the full amount will be disbursed in two installments: one around early August (if you have already registered in the fall term that follows) and the other in January before winter fees are due.
You must register full-time to receive the scholarship. The scholarship will not be disbursed if your course load is considered that of a part-time student.

What happens if my scholarship is not deposited into my student account by my tuition deadline?

You should contact the Music Awards unit (email: [at] to ensure there is no problem with the implementation of your scholarship. You will not be penalized for administrative delays beyond your control.
IMPORTANT: Once the scholarship has been deposited into your student fee account, you are responsible for paying the difference by the due date on your e-bill.

What if the value of my scholarship is more than my tuition?

After the course add/drop deadline has passed, you may request a refund if you have a credit balance over $2 or you may leave the funds in your account for a future term. Tuition credits will be automatically applied to any new charges. Contact Student Accounts for more information.

Back to top