- Instrumental lessons and voice coaching at the Schulich School of Music are known as "practical instruction."
- All undergraduate students are assigned a practical instruction teacher upon submission of an online practical instruction request.
- Years of lesson entitlement by program and practical instruction tuition fees can be found in the McGill eCalendar.
How to submit your practical instruction teacher request
Submit an online practical instruction request form by: May 31, 2022
- If you miss the deadline, submit the form anyway in order for your teacher to be assigned. A $50 late fee will be charged to your tuition account.
- When filling out the online form:
- Use your official McGill email address (@mail.mcgill.ca).
- Check your information carefully prior to submitting your request. If changes are needed after your request has been submitted, e-mail: teacherpreference.music [at] mcgill.ca
- Select the number of terms of lessons you are requesting. First-year students usually select both fall and winter terms since teacher assignments are done for the academic year. Returning students who wish to be assigned different teachers for fall and winter semesters must submit two separate online requests.
- Indicate up to three teacher preferences from the teaching staff list on the form. You must study with a Schulich School of Music teacher. We cannot guarantee your first choice of teacher. If you have no preference, select "No Teacher Preference" as your 1st choice.
Practical instruction registration
- You do not register directly for practical instruction.
- Once you submit the online form, the Department of Performance selects your teacher and registers you by the first week of September. Each teacher is assigned a specific MUIN section number. You can view your teacher assignment in the Minerva student menu (click on Registration Menu, then Step 4: View Student Schedule by Course Section).
- Report any discrepancies to teacherpreference.music [at] mcgill.ca