The following program information applies to students who were admitted up to and including Fall 2015.
Requirements and Courses
See the eCalendar for Artist Diploma requirements and course information.
All full-time or part-time students in this program must audition for a large ensemble in the beginning of the school year. Auditions for large and small ensembles are mandatory.
For descriptions of our perennial ensembles and all audition schedules, visit the Ensembles webpages.
Assignments & Requirements
When: Ensemble assignments are made following the auditions, normally in the first week of classes.
How to register: It is each student’s responsibility to ensure they are registered on MINERVA for the ensemble(s) to which they have been assigned.
- Students who major in an orchestral instrument are required to complete 8 credits of large ensemble and 4 credits of small ensemble.
- Students who major in a non-orchestral instrument are required to complete 8 credits of complementary ensemble and 4 credits of music electives.
- Ensemble transfer credits are not granted.
- All students registered in required practical instruction courses, whether they are full-time or part-time, are required to concurrently register for one large ensemble and one small ensemble, even if they have already completed the minimum ensemble requirements for their diploma.
- Guitarists may present a third recital, which may be counted as a substitute for 4 credits of ensemble. Organists may present a third recital or Concerto 1 and 2, which may be counted as a substitute for 4 credits of ensemble.
- “A-” is the minimum ensemble passing grade for students in this program.
A number of core courses have final exams during the University’s official final exam period. Visit McGill's Exam Office website to obtain an updated final exam schedule.
Practical instruction exams
Sign in to the exam schedule page to see upcoming practical instruction exam schedules. Use your McGill username and password.
Practical exam requirements
Exam requirements vary by instrument type:
In consultation with your practical instructor, fill out and submit the online exam application form by:
- October 15 for the December exam period.
- February 1 for the April exam period.
Request to reschedule a practical exam
If you must reschedule your exam due, for example, to medical reasons, please fill out the following form: