“Understand the brain, find cures and effectively treat people with neurological disorders”
A large part of our mission is our focus on research, care and education. Our fundamental research contributes to immediate or future breakthroughs, our translational clinical research benefits patients while they are in our care. We also provide high-quality clinical care to make sure every patient has the best experience when they come to The Neuro.
“Transform neurological research and care to change lives”
The connection between laboratory science, clinical investigation and patient care is a strength of The Neuro. It has helped enhance our place in the world of neurology and neuroscience research. We are now profoundly redefining the way we work, by reshaping scientific research and the way it's shared. We believe our Open Science systems and tools will accelerate scientific progress towards solving the most persistent problems in neuroscience, to accelerate discovery, and impact the lives of millions of patients around the world.
In support of our institutional mission and vision— which together articulate The Neuro’s commitment to serving the public good through excellence in research, clinical care and teaching, the following values describe the culture that all our staff and community stakeholders will embrace and uphold.
At The Neuro, our core institutional values are driven by the empowerment of our transdisciplinary teams of researchers and clinicians, ambassadors, volunteers, patients and the synergy between them.
- We hold ourselves accountable to society - to our patients who trust us with their health and to the public, our funders and donors who trust us with resources that enable our mission.
- We are committed to accuracy, transparency and responsibility for our actions and results.
- We aim to have an organization that reflects the diversity of the world in which we live. We also want to ensure an inclusive and respectful environment for all those who seek and provide care.
- We seek the highest standards in research, care, and education. This is demonstrated by the quality, rigour and innovation of our work.
- We want to find new and better solutions in everything we do. Through the development of an innovative research space, we seek to understand diseases, accelerate the discovery of new treatments.
- We challenge traditional pathways to acquire knowledge and understanding that results in new approaches to research and patient care.
- We adhere to the highest professional standards and ethics.
- At all times, we approach our work with openness, transparency and impartiality. We always treat our patients with respect, compassion and dignity.
- We embrace the values of openness and transparency in scientific research and clinical care.
- We believe that our open scientific practices increase reliability, facilitate more effective collaboration and increase the impact of our research.
- We seek beneficial relationships with other academic institutions, businesses, charitable organisations, globally and locally to enhance and support our research and clinical activities.
- We partner and share knowledge in an open collaborative environment to benefit patients for the advancement of our mission.
- Our transdisciplinary teams of researchers, clinicians value working together with our patients to help find new cures and treatments.
The Neuro is built on 3 pillars
Integrated research and patient care
Our experts apply discoveries of basic science research to improve the care of patients suffering from neurological diseases.
Patients benefit from close interaction among clinical and basic scientists and receive advanced treatment for ALS, brain tumours, epilepsy, migraine, multiple sclerosis, pain, Parkinson’s disease and other conditions.
Patients also benefit from technical advances in brain imaging, neuro-radiology, neuro-navigation and neuro-stimulation. Many patients participate in studies of the newest treatments available through the Clinical Research Unit.
We are the first academic institution to fully embrace the principles of Open Science.
By openly sharing experimental data and biological samples with colleagues around the world, and working to develop business models to bring open source discoveries to the marketplace, Open Science at The Neuro promises to accelerate the pace of research.
It also places The Neuro, McGill, and the Canadian scientific community at the forefront of a global movement to transform science, knowledge, and healthcare delivery for generations to come.
Training the next generation of leaders in science and medicine
We are the largest training centre for brain research in Canada.
We are also home to North America’s largest neuroscience graduate program – the Integrated Program in Neuroscience. Today’s trainees, from over 60 countries, have a worldwide impact as we reach out through international collaborations, formal relationships with sister institutes, and high visibility in professional organizations.
The Neuro also participates in clinical and clinical research fellowship programs with the McGill Faculty of Medicine.