All full-time or part-time students in this program must audition for a large ensemble in the beginning of the school year. Auditions for large and small ensembles are mandatory.
For descriptions of our perennial ensembles and all audition schedules, visit the Ensembles webpages.
Assignments & Requirements
When: Ensemble assignments are made following the auditions, normally in the first week of classes.
How to register: It is each student’s responsibility to ensure they are registered on MINERVA for the ensemble(s) to which they have been assigned.
- Students are required to complete 12 credits of large ensemble and 8 credits of small ensemble .
- Students with a Music DEC from Québec or transfer from a BMus program from another university are granted up to 4 transfer credits of large ensemble and 2 transfer credits of small ensemble.
- Students who graduate from high school or transfer from a non-music major program (where they did not complete any ensemble) are required to complete a minimum of 12 credits of large ensemble and 8 credits of small ensemble , excluding Beethoven Orchestra (MUEN 567).
- Students in this program must be registered in a large ensemble for the first four terms (2 credits X 4 semesters), or six terms (2 credits X 6 semesters) including the program prerequisites.
- Students in this program may substitute up to two terms of MUEN 584 Studio Accompanying for two terms of choral ensembles.
- Students who are registered in required practical instruction courses, whether full time or part-time, must be concurrently registered in a small ensemble, even if they have already completed the minimum ensemble requirements for their degree.
- “B-” is the minimum passing ensemble grade for students in BMus (Performance Piano).