Funding your Graduate Studies in Music

Financial aid for new students

We allocate a limited number of one-year and multi-year packages to the top-ranked applicants in Music. Rankings are based on auditions and/or research potential and expertise.

McCall MacBain Scholarships - Master’s and Professional Programs

A full graduate scholarship and community to help you make a difference in the world.

Start looking for external (non-McGill) funding early

Before you apply to a graduate program, look for multi-year external funding through government agencies, foundations, etc. You can often apply for external funding before beginning your studies.

  • If you don't have any funding, you should apply directly for government student aid.
  • Work-study opportunities are available if you are a full-time student who needs financial assistance.

We have a grant mentoring program each fall to help new and current music students apply for funding.

Internal (McGill) funding packages for new graduate students

How we allocate funding:

  • Our top-ranked students receive funding offers first, normally in the admission letter. We may also offer you funding in a second round (after you have received or accepted your admission offer).
  • If you secure external funding, we may reassess your McGill funding package so that we can offer financial aid to other students.

Funding amounts:

  • Doctoral student funding ranges from $15,000 (spread over 3 years) to $90,000 (spread over 4 or 5 years).
  • Not all master's students receive internal funding. We may offer you $1,000 to $24,000 (spread over 2 years).

What's in internal (McGill) funding packages?

4 types of funding are offered to incoming music students:

  1. Music entrance fellowships/awards

    We automatically consider all applicants for entrance fellowships/awards. If we offer you this funding, it will be from a source such as: Max Stern Fellowship, Schulich Scholarships, Graduate Excellence Fellowships.

  2. Differential fee waivers (international students)

    We offer a limited number of one-year differential fee waivers (exemptions from the international tuition supplement) to international students.

  3. Research stipends

    Your new supervisor(s) may offer you a non-taxable award from a grant to support your academic training. This is called a research stipend.

  4. Graduate assistantships

    Research assistantships are paid from a professor's grant or contract. You receive an hourly wage to perform research-related work. Teaching assistantships involve teaching, supervising and evaluating undergraduate work.

Other opportunities

See Student Resources for other work opportunities of interest to music graduate students.

Special needs assistance

Visit the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) website for scholarship and government funding resources.

Back to top