The PhD specialization in Strategy & Organization is designed to train students in the theory and methods of strategy and organization. The Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University is renowned for its process approach to strategy – a focus on the dynamics through which strategies emerge and are realized in organizations, and the particular concepts and methodologies for studying the dynamics of strategic change.
We seek candidates with strong commitment to do research that can further develop our knowledge about strategy, organizations, sustainability, international business, management of innovations and entrepreneurship. Emphasis is placed on social science disciplines (sociology, political science, history, etc.) as well as on organization theory and strategy research. All faculty members and graduate students in Strategy and Organization at Desautels participate in the activities of the Centre for Strategy Studies in Organizations (CSSO), a funded research centre created in 1989. The Centre encourages the execution and dissemination of research on issues central to organizations, in particular, on the development of strategic direction and strategy content, the strategic management process, and the relationship between organizations and society.
The area is committed to the development of insightful, autonomous researchers whose pursuit of knowledge makes significant contributions to society and to learning. McGill's Desautels Faculty of Management in concert with Montreal’s three other major universities offers an innovative doctoral program designed for talented students with strong initiative to shape their own study program. The program fosters independent, creative work on the part of its students and provides solid grounding in theory, methods, and current management practice.
The Program favours direct contact between faculty and students and provides access to graduate courses and to professors in management and related fields at McGill and three other universities located in Montreal. The language of instruction at McGill University is English. Students also proficient in French may register for courses offered by Université du Québec à Montréal and HEC Montreal.
We invite you to give careful consideration to our PhD program and to discuss your research interests with the members of Strategy & Organization Area found below. Information about the application process, funding of admitted students, the program requirements, etc. can be found on the PhD Program website.
Questions about the application process can be directed to Stella Scalia, PhD Program Manager - email: stella.scalia [at] mcgill.ca or phone: (514) 398-4074.
Alumni placement since 2006
- HEC Montreal, Canada
- University of Ottawa, Canada
- University of Laval, Canada
- University of Waterloo, Canada
- Queen's School of Business, Canada
- Concordia College, USA
- Suffolk University, USA
- U of Wisconsin Whitewater, USA
- INCAE Business School, Nicaragua
- Audencia Business School, France
- GSB at U of Cape Town, S, Africa
- Fudan University, China
- Samsung Economic Research Institute, China
Current Area Research Topics
- Collaborative strategy
- Corporate social responsibility
- Critical management studies
- Institutional entrepreneurship
- Institutional theory
- Management for development
- Managerial work
- Managing corporate strategy
- Managing globalization
- Managing innovation
- Strategies for sustainable development
- Strategy formation
Only Tenured and Tenure-Track faculty can supervise students
Please note that if you select an Assistant Professor as your supervisor, you will need a co-supervisor that has either Associate or Full Professor status.
- Seminar in Policy
- Organizational Theory Seminar
- Seminar in Qualitative Methods
- International Business and Government
- Perspectives on Innovation
- New Paradigms: Strategic Management
- Debating Strategic Management
- Reading, Doing and Publishing Research in Strategy
- Corporate Governance: Strategic Imperative
- Séminaire en gestion: cooperatives, entreprises d'économie sociale
- Séminaire en stratégie de gestion: gestion sociétale de l'enterprise
- La formation des stratégies
- Politiques générales d'administration
- Séminaire en stratégie de gestion: les valeurs de l'entreprise
- Dynamique organisationnnelle et décisions stratégiques
- Théories du changement organisationnel
Typical Support Fields
- Environmental studies
- Political Science