What we look for
The Master of Management in Analytics degree is designed for recent graduates with proven quantitative skills and a strong interest in analytics.
We seek ambitious and high-achieving students with an undergraduate degree in any discipline. Individuals who have technical skills, computer acumen, and who have experience in a related discipline (such as engineering, computer science, statistics, business) are encouraged to apply.
Applicants can apply during the final year of their bachelor’s degree studies. Admission would be conditional upon obtaining their bachelor’s degree prior to the start of the program. Students with a three-year bachelor’s degree from an international university might also be eligible to apply. International students can determine the equivalency of their degrees using the dedicated tool on the McGill website.
Master of Management in Analytics program director, Shoeb Hosain, shares his tips and tricks for standing out on your application. From what to include on your resume to best practices for succeeding in interview rounds, he's got you covered.
We strongly recommend reviewing application requirements, consulting our FAQ page, registering for an info session, and reviewing the MMA Brochure to best prepare yourself for your future application.
Application to the MMA program (In-Person & Online) is open. Please complete our expression of interest form for more information on the MMA program or join our next available information session hosted by our own Professor Shoeb Hosain.
In order to be considered for a specific deadline, ensure that your references, documents and test scores are received to your application by the deadline.
|Application deadlines for MMA in-person||Application deadlines for MMA online|
November 15, 2023
January 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
October 15, 2023
Step 1: Get ready to join our world-renowned program
The first step in our application process is: making sure you are eligible to the MMA program, gathering and documenting your academic qualifications. You may also wish to contact your department for additional information.
Learn more about Educational credentials and grade equivalencies.
1. Undergraduate Degree and Academic Qualifications
- List and upload all university-level institutions attended on your application.
- Transcripts must include all courses and grades for each year attended.
- Include transcripts for courses taken at other university-level institutions (e.g., transfer credits, exchanges, or unfinished degrees).
- McGill transcripts do not need to be uploaded.
- If the year of degree completion is not stated on the transcript: Upload a copy of the actual diploma in addition to the transcripts.
- Transcripts in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation.
- Official transcripts will be required only from admitted applicants who will then receive mailing instructions for sending these documents.
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Your CV should not exceed 1 page.
- Provide your educational history in reverse chronological order, including dates of attendance and degrees earned.
- If your educational background lacks quantitative skills, emphasize relevant coursework (quantitative and technology courses), competencies, and include a brief student or professional summary.
- List any employment experiences in reverse chronological order, specifying your job title, employment dates, and whether you worked part-time, full-time, or as an intern.
- We encourage the submission of any other pertinent information.
3. Examinations (GRE/GMAT)
All applicants – except those with a graduate or undergraduate degree from any Canadian or US university – must complete the GMAT or GRE.
When registering for a test, request that the results be sent electronically to McGill University by the testing service:
- GMAT Institution Code: 58H-MN-80
- GRE Institution Code: 0935
Please note that it can take between 10-20 business days for your GMAT/GRE scores to reflect in your applicant portal, once submitted. If you do not see the test scores by then, please use the inbox/chat function on your applicant portal.
MMA Online: Please note that for Winter 2024 intake of the MMA online Program, the GMAT has been waived.
4. English Language Proficiency
If English is not your native language and you haven't completed a degree in an English-speaking country, you must take either the TOEFL or IELTS.
- Only tests taken at Test Centers are accepted; at-home tests are not valid.
- If you've earned a degree in a non-English speaking country but studied in English, you may be exempt. Check McGill's English Language Proficiency requirements for other exemptions.
- When registering for a test, send your results electronically to McGill University: TOEFL Institution Code: 0935
- For IELTS, use the IELTS Results Service with McGill University's address.
- Note that you can't upload your results, and paper copies won't be accepted.
- IELTS processing time is 14-30 business days, while TOEFL processing time is 10-20 business days.
- If you don't see your test scores within this timeframe, contact us via the inbox/chat function on your applicant portal
5. Personal Statement
Please complete the following questions on separate pages and upload as one PDF document.
- Explain why you intend to pursue your master’s in analytics studies at this time (maximum 500 words).
- Explain how the Desautels Master of Management in Analytics program will help you achieve your professional goals (maximum 500 words).
6. Two Letters of Reference
- On the application form, provide names and institutional email addresses of two referees. McGill will contact these referees after your application is submitted and ask them to upload their references.
- Referees should be individuals who have assessed your abilities directly.
- They can be professional or academic, but at least one reference should be academic.
- Referees can use the recommendation form you provide or write their own letters.
- Referees must submit their references before the application deadline.
- Refer to information on how referees can upload their references for details.
Step 2: Submit your application
1. Learn how to apply
This tutorial video illustrates the steps for using the Graduate Applicant portal when applying. For more information on the application process, visit the Applying to McGill page.
2. Apply to the MMA program
Submit your application on the Applicant Portal.
Summer Admission (in-person delivery): Select Summer term for in-person delivery.
Winter Admission (Online delivery): Select Winter term for online delivery.
- The MMA program is offered in both in-person and online formats, granting you access to the same courses and course content. The comparison tables on this page will give you a better understanding of the small differences between the in-person and online deliveries.
- When applying to the program, ensure that you have completed all the requirements and have reviewed our Frequently Asked Questions. Once you pay the application fee, you will be able to upload your documents.
- Please ensure you are selecting 2023-2024 Application cycle and not 2024-2025 Application cycle.
- After your initial application has been submitted and paid for, you will receive access to your Applicant Portal via email in order to upload your documents and receive your test scores electronically.
- Once an application is complete, applicants can expect to receive a response within 6-8 weeks of the application deadlines. Note that this timeline may vary.
- A non-refundable Graduate Studies application fee of CAD $132.90 must accompany each application. Applications cannot be submitted without this fee. This sum must be paid by credit card.
|MMA In-Person||MMA Online|
Part of the 2023-2024 academic year
Part of the 2023-2024 academic year
3. Uploading Documents
You will only be able to upload your supporting documents once your application fee have been paid through the Applicant Portal.
- All required documents must be in PDF format and uploaded directly to the Applicant Portal.
- These include unofficial transcripts, your CV, and a personal statement.
Letters of Reference:
- McGill will request reference letters for you from the referees you specify in your application.
- Make sure your referees know they'll receive an email request, and the letters must be submitted by the application deadline.
- If a referee doesn't receive the email, ask them to check their spam folder.
- You can update referee information in your Applicant Portal, and you'll be notified if a referee declines to provide a recommendation.
4. Submit Test Scores
Where applicable, arrange for test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, GRE) to be sent electronically to McGill directly from the testing agency. To do so, you must indicate the following:
- GMAT Institution Code: 58H-MN-80
- GRE Institution Code: 0935
- TOEFL Institution Code: 0935
- For IELTS, via the IELTS Results Service. Name: McGill University, Address: 688 Sherbrooke St. W, Suite 760. Montreal QC, H3A 0B8 Canada
Please ensure that the information you provide to your testing center matches the information you provided for your application (Name, date of birth, etc.).
Important: it can take anywhere between 10-30 days for your scores to reflect in your applicant portal from the day they are submitted.
- GMAT/GRE processing time = 10-20 business days
- IELTS processing time = 14- 30 business days
- TOEFL processing time = 10-20 business days
If you do not see the test scores by then, please use the inbox/chat function on your applicant portal.
After a preliminary review of their file, only selected candidates will be invited for an interview. All interviews are conducted remotely. During your interview, you will be asked some technical questions:
- We are looking for examples that highlight your quantitative skills.
- We are looking for examples that highlight your coding/Technology skills.
- We will likely ask you to speak of your experiences through a project (either at school or at work) where you had to solve a practical problem and explain how you found the solution to that problem.
And some behavioural questions:
- We are looking for examples that highlight your application/business accumen through display of subject matter expertise
- We are interested in your future pursuits/vision of your career
The interview process is highly important: it not only helps the admissions committee to better understand your background and objectives, but it is also an important opportunity for you to ask key questions to ensure that the MMA at McGill-Desautels is the right program for you.
Once an application is complete, applicants can expect to receive a response on the Applicant Portal within 6-8 weeks of the application deadlines. Note that this timeline may vary. If you do not hear back, please contact us through the "help" button on the Applicant Portal.
Step 4: Accepting your offer
1. Admitted Candidates
Candidates who are offered acceptance will generally have two weeks to accept the offer and secure a place in the MMA program. In order to accept the offer:
- MMA online: the candidate must log onto the Applicant Portal, select Summer Admission and pay a non-refundable deposit of CAD $4,000 via credit card.
- MMA in-person: the candidate must log onto the Applicant Portal, select Winter Admission and pay a non-refundable deposit of CAD $5,000 via credit card.
For any questions, contact mma.admission [at] mcgill.ca.
2. Deferred Admission
Deferring admission for one year may be considered only in exceptional cases upon evidence of extenuating circumstances. We make admissions offers based on the cohort that you apply for, and thus considering deferrals will be done on a case-by-case basis.
Only deferral requests from applicants who have accepted an offer of admission and have paid the non-refundable deposit mentioned above are evaluated, with no guarantee that they will be approved. A written request should be submitted to the MMA office at mma.admission [at] mcgill.ca. If a deferral of admission to the next academic year is granted, a second and non-refundable deposit of $5,000 will be required.