Marcelo M. Wanderley
Professor, Music Technology
Director: Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory (IDMIL)
B. Eng. Universidade Federal do Paraná
M. Eng. Universidade Federal de Seanta Catarina
PhD Université Pierre et Marie Curie
Marcelo Mortensen Wanderley holds a Ph.D. degree from the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), France, on acoustics, signal processing, and computer science applied to music. His interdisciplinary research focuses on the development of novel interfaces for music performance. He has authored and co-authored several dozen scientific and technological publications on NIME, including the development of open databases on sensor and actuator technologies for musical applications – the SensorWiki.org project.
In 2000, he co-edited the first English language research reference in this area, Trends in Gestural Control of Music (Wanderley & Battier, 2000). In 2003, he chaired the second International Conference on New Interfaces for Music Expression (NIME03) and in 2006, he co-wrote the first textbook on this subject, New Digital Musical Instruments: Control and Interaction Beyond the Keyboard (Miranda & Wanderley, 2006). In 2008 he was a visiting professor at the Université de Bretagne Sud, France (Maître de Conférences) and in 2011, he was awarded a 2-month international chair at the Institute for Advanced interdisciplinary Studies, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil. More recently, he was awarded a 5-year international research chair from Inria, France and the Francqui Foundation Chair at the University of Mons, Belgium. In September 2016 has was appointed a member of Computer Music Journal’s Editorial Advisory Board. He is a senior member of the ACM and of the IEEE.
Crossing Disciplines - interview with Hannah Darroch, June 2019 (text, in English)
Conferência Internacional de Novas Interfaces para a Expressão Musical - Acontece na UFRGS, June 2019 (video, in Portuguese)
L’informaticienne et le musicien - Blog Binaire, Le Monde, France - entretien avec Thierry Vieville et Marie-Agnès Enard, Sept. 2017 (text, in French)
Made to fit: Technology helps musicians find the perfect guitar - Canada Foundation for Innovation / Fondation canadienne pour l'innovation, March 2017 (video, in English)
Des instruments à votre mesure : la technologie au service des musiciens - Canada Foundation for Innovation / Fondation canadienne pour l'innovation, March 2017 (video, In French)
L'ordinateur est un instrument de musique - Usbek & Rica, France - Nov. 2016 (text, in French)
La recherche au service des musiciens - Canada Foundation for Innovation / Fondation canadienne pour l'innovation, Sept 2016 (video, in French)
Research builds my music community - Canada Foundation for Innovation / Fondation canadienne pour l'innovation, Sept 2016 (video, in English)
Comprendre le cerveau par la musique - Dec 2015 (video, in French)
Playing musical instruments in the MRI - the brain on music - Nov 2014 (video, in English)
À propos du Centre interdisciplinaire de recherche en musique, médias et technologie (CIRMMT) - entretien avec Guillaume Boutard, Revue Circuit, 2014 (text, in French)
Le Devoir c'est moi: Pour comprendre la société québécoise- entretien avec Pauline Gravel, le Devoir, le 4 janvier 2011 (text, in French)
- Inria International Chair, Inria Lille – Nord Europe, France (2016-2020)
- Francqui Chair, University of Mons, Belgium (2016 -2017)
- International Chair, Institute for Advanced Transdisciplinary Studies, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil (2011)
- Maître de Conférences invité (invited associate professor), Université de Bretagne Sud, Vannes, France (2008)
- New Directions in Music and Human-Computer Interaction. Simon Holland, Tom Mudd, Katie Wilkie-McKenna, Andrew McPherson and Marcelo M. Wanderley (editors). Springer International Publishing AG, Cham, Switzerland. 2019. ISBN 978-3-319-92069-6.
- Digital Musical Instruments: Control and Interaction beyond the Keyboard. Eduardo Reck Miranda and Marcelo M. Wanderley. A-R Publications, 2006.
- Trends in Gestural Control of Music. Marcelo M. Wanderley and Marc Battier (editors). Paris: IRCAM – Centre Pompidou. 2000.
Selected Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- "Expressive Performances of Romantic Excerpts: Applications for Enhanced Pedagogical Approaches." Catherine Massie-Laberge, Isabelle Cossette and Marcelo N. Wanderley. Frontiers in Psychology, section Performance Science. Published on January 09, 2019.
- "Dissociable Effects of Practice Variability on Learning Motor and Timing Skills." Baptiste Caramiaux, Frederic Bevilacqua, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Caroline Palmer. PLOS ONE, March 2018, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0193580
- "Generalized Multi-Instance Control Mapping for Interactive Media Systems. " Joseph Malloch, Stephen Sinclair and Marcelo M. Wanderley. IEEE Multimedia 25(1): 39-50, Jan.-Mar. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/MMUL.2018.112140028
- "The Unresponsive Partner: Roles of Social Status, Auditory Feedback, and Animacy in Coordination of Joint Music Performance." Alexander P Demos, Daniel J. Carter, Marcelo M Wanderley, Caroline Palmer. Frontiers in Psychology, section Cognitive Science. Published on February 14, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00149
- "Method and Toolkit for Generating Ideas and Prototyping Digital Musical Instruments." Filipe Calegario, Marcelo M. Wanderley, Stéphane Huot, Giordano Cabral and Geber Ramalho. IEEE Multimedia 24(1): 63–71, January-March 2017. DOI: 10.1109/MMUL.2017.18
- "Online Access and Visualization of Enriched Multimodal Representations of Music Performance Recordings: the Quartet Dataset and the Repovizz System." Esteban Maestre, Panos Papiotis, Marco Marchini, Quim Llimona, Oscar Mayor, Alfonso Perez and Marcelo M. Wanderley. IEEE Multimedia 24(1):24–34, January-March 2017. DOI: 10.1109/MMUL.2017.3
- "Integrating Gesture Data in Computer-Aided Composition: A Framework for Representation, Processing and Mapping." Marlon Schumacher and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Journal of New Music Research. Published online on December 22, 2016. DOI: 10.1080/09298215.2016.1254662
- "The Design, Implementation, and Testing of a Sensorized MRI-Compatible Cello." Avrum Hollinger and Marcelo M. Wanderley. IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(11):6125-6134, 2015. DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2015.2449876
- "Indirect Acquisition of Violin Instrumental Controls from Audio Signal with Hidden Markov Models." Alfonso Perez Carrillo and Marcelo M. Wanderley. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, 23(5):932-940, March 2015. DOI: 10.1109/TASLP.2015.2410140
- "Distributed Tools for Interactive Design of Heterogeneous Signal Networks." Joseph Malloch, Stephen Sinclair and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 74(15):5683-5707, 2015. DOI 10.1007/s11042-014-1878-5
- "Motion Analysis of Clarinet Performers." Euler Teixeira, Maurício A. Loureiro, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Hani C. Yehia. Journal of New Music Research, 44(2):97-111, 2015 DOI: 10.1080/09298215.2014.925939
- "The Role of Working Memory in the Temporal Control of Discrete and Continuous Movements." Pieter-Jan Maes, Caroline Palmer and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Experimental Brain Research, 233(1):263-273, January 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s00221-014-4108-5
- "Common Cues to Emotion in the Dynamic Facial Expressions of Speech and Song." Steven R. Livingstone, William F. Thompson, Marcelo M. Wanderley, and Caroline Palmer. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. 2015. DOI: 10.1080/17470218.2014.971034
- "Velocity estimation algorithms for audio-haptic simulations involving stick-slip." Stephen Sinclair, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Vincent Hayward. IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 7(4):533-544, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/TOH.2014.2346505
- "A Comprehensive Review of Sensors and Instrumentation Methods Used in Musical Expression." Carolina B. Medeiros and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Sensors Journal, 2014. 14(8):13556–13591. DOI: 10.3390/s140813556
- "Mapping Control Structures for Sound Synthesis: Functional and Topological Perspectives." Doug Van Nort, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Philippe Depalle. Computer Music Journal, 38(3):6–22, 2014. DOI: 10.1162/COMJ_a_00253
- "In-House Development of Paper Force Sensors for Musical Applications." Rodolphe Koehly, Marcelo M. Wanderley, Theodorus van de Ven and Denis Curtil. Computer Music Journal, 38(2):22–35, Summer 2014. DOI: 10.1162/COMJ_a_00237
- "Multiple-model Linear Kalman Filter Framework for Unpredictable Signals." Carolina B. Medeiros and Marcelo M. Wanderley. IEEE Sensors Journal, 14(4):979–991, April 2014. DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2013.2291683
- "When the Data is Emotion: Strategies and Results from the Intersection of Sonification and Music." R. Michael Winters and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Organised Sound, 19(1):60–69, 2014. DOI: 10.1017/S1355771813000411
- "Automatic Detection of Musicians' Ancillary Gestures based on Video Analysis." Rodrigo A. Seger, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Alessandro L. Koerich. Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 41, Issue 4, Part 2, March 2014, Pages 2098–2106. DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2013.09.009
- "Action-based Effect on Music Perception." Pieter-Jan Maes, Marc Leman, Caroline Palmer and Marcelo M. Wanderley. Frontiers in Psychology, 03 January 2014. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.01008
Selected Book chapters
- "A Design Workbench for Interactive Music Systems". Joseph Malloch, Jérémie Garcia, Marcelo M. Wanderley, Wendy Mackay, Michel Beaudouin-Lafon and Stéphane Huot. In S. Holland, Tom Mudd, Katie Wilkie, Andrew MacPherson and Marcelo M. Wanderley (eds.), Music and Human-Computer Interaction. Springer International Publishing, AG, 2019.
- "Design of Vibrotactile Feedback and Stimulation for Music Performance." Marcello Giordano, John Sullivan and Marcelo M. Wanderley. In S. Papetti and C. Saitis (eds.), Musical Haptics, Springer International Publishing AG. 2018.
- "Body Movements in Music Performances: the Example of Clarinet Players." Manfred Nusseck, Marcelo M. Wanderley and Claudia Spahn. In Bertram Müller and Sebastian I. Wolf (eds.), Handbook of Human Motion. Springer Verlag, 2017.
- "Embodied Cognition and Digital Musical Instruments: Design and performance." Joseph Malloch and Marcelo M. Wanderley. In Micheline Lesaffre, Pieter-Jan Maes and Marc Leman (eds.), The Routledge Companion to Embodied Music Interaction, pp. 440–449, Routledge, 2017.
- "Input Devices and Music Interaction". Joseph Malloch, Stephen Sinclair, Avrum Hollinger and Marcelo M. Wanderley. In Jorge Solis and Kia Ng, eds, Musical Robots and Interactive Music Systems, Springer Verlag, 2011.
- "Projeto e Utilização de Instrumentos Musicais Digitais." Marcelo M. Wanderley. In Keller, D. (ed.), Criação Musical e Tecnologias: Teoria e Prática Interdisciplinar 1, ANPOM (In Portuguese), 2010.
- "Musical Gesture: Concepts and Methods in Research." Alexander Refsum Jensenius, Marcelo M. Wanderley, Rolf Inge Godøy and Marc Leman. In Rolf Inge Godøy and Marc Leman, ed. Musical Gestures: Sound, Movement and Meaning. New York: Routledge, pp 12-35, 2010.
- Frontiers in Musical Interactive System Design & Aesthetics - Vollmer Fries Lecture, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY, 2019
- Motion Capture of Music Performances: Overview of almost 2 decades of research - RITMO International Motion Capture Workshop, Oslo, Norway, 2018 - Keynote
- Numédiart Masterclass on Culture and Technology - University of Mons, Belgium, 2017 - Francqui Chair - Five Lessons
- NIME Before NIME: Research on New Interfaces for Musical Expression from the 80’s to the present - University of Virginia, VA, 2017
- Visiting Artist Lecture - Innovative Media Research & Commercialization Center- University of Maine, ME, 2016