History and Governance

Important Dates

1904: Founding of the McGill Conservatorium of Music

1908: McGill's first university symphonic ensemble is created

1920: McGill Conservatorium becomes the Faculty of Music

1971: Opening of the Strathcona Music Building

1975: Inauguration of Pollack Hall

1981: McGill becomes the first university in Canada to offer a BMus degree in jazz performance

2000: Founding of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technolgy (CIRMMT)

2005: Inauguration of the New Music Building (renamed in 2015)

2005: Following a historic gift from Seymour Schulich, the Faculty is renamed the Schulich School of Music

2015: The New Music Building is renamed in honour of Elizabeth Wirth, following a large gift for student programs

 

Faculty Advisory Board

Elizabeth Wirth, BA’64, Chair

  • Pierre Deslauriers
  • Barry Garber, BA’82
  • Emily Hamilton, MDCM’75
  • Lana Harper, BA’69
  • Joan Ivory, BA’54
  • Daniel Lalonde, BCom’76
  • Edmund Nash, BEng’80
  • Constance Pathy, LMus’71, LMus’86, DMus’15
  • Wayne Riddell, BMus’60, DMus’14
  • Bernard Shapiro, BA’56, LLD’88
  • Huntington Sheldon, BA’51 LLD’96