Clara Lichtenstein Hall (C-209), located in McGill's Strathcona Music Building, is the Schulich School of Music’s smallest recital venue. It was extensively renovated in 2014.
The 50 seat hall has a projector, a sound system and pianos. It is used as a small performance space for undergraduate chamber ensembles and jazz combos, as well as for doctoral colloquia, scholarly lectures and receptions.
Clara Hall is located on the 2nd floor (main level when using the front entrance) of McGill University's Strathcona Music Building, in downtown Montreal.
- 555 Sherbrooke Street West (rue Sherbrooke Ouest), between University Street (rue University) and Aylmer Street (rue Aylmer).
- There is a statue of Queen Victoria on the front steps of the building.
By metro or bus
- McGill metro (green line): Take the University St. (rue University) exit. Walk north, up the small hill, one block to Sherbrooke St. Cross Sherbrooke St. and turn right.
- Bus 24 (Sherbrooke) stops in front of Strathcona Music Building.
We do not have on-site parking for the public. On-street metered parking is available in the downtown core. For information about on-site parking permits, visit the McGill Parking website, or call 514-398-4559.
Floor plan and seating
- Even floor, with no raised stage
- Stackable/movable chairs
- 50 seat capacity
Box Office and ticketing
- There is no Box Office or ticket sales service for Clara Hall.
- On-street parking with meters is available. Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for loading dock parking information.
Catering and receptions
- Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for information. To serve alcohol, a liquor permit must be obtained from the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux Québec (RAJC).
- The pianos in Clara Hall are tuned regularly.
Clara Hall is available for rental when not in use for educational purposes. We prioritize bookings in this order:
- Schulich School of Music students and faculty (educational purposes)
- Returning rental clients
- All other rental clients, please complete the Event Booking Request Form for approval.
- Instrument rental
- McGill website event listing
Contact the Production Supervisor, johanne.froncioni [at] mcgill.ca (Johanne Froncioni), at 514-398-8993 for more information or to inquire about availabilities.
Rates are valid from September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019. Applicable taxes, including Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), are not included in the rates below.
|Basic rental fee (3 hours)||
|Overtime (hourly rate)||
|Stage manager (minimum 3 hours)||$42 per hour|
|Stage hand (minimum 3 hours)||$27 per hour|
|Front of House staff|
|Usher||$27 per hour|
|Posting of event date/description on McGill website||Included in rental rate|
|Rental (Clara Lichtenstein Hall pianos are tuned regularly)||Included in rental rate|
Piano tuning is included in the rental rate
|Rental (including 2 tunings)||$230|
|Moving (within same building)||$140|
|Moving between different locations||Fees as per Gagnier Transport|
Some other instruments may be available
johanne.froncioni [at] mcgill.ca (Contact us for pricing/availability)