QES program at McGill University
A network of interdisciplinary, solution-oriented researchers to improve the livelihoods and food and nutrition security of adolescent girls and women farmers in rural Ghana
The Queen Elizabeth Scholars (QES) program has funded LINkIN-Ghana, a McGill University-University of Ghana program to strengthen the capacity of researchers who work with farmers, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and local institutions to develop solutions to agriculture and food and nutrition security. We seek to improve especially the lives of adolescent girls and women farmers in rural Ghana through expanding knowledge and skills, and improving access to services and markets.
LINkIN-Ghana, with core team being Drs. Grace Marquis (Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, McGill), Nii Addy (Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill), and Richmond Aryeetey (School of Public Health, University of Ghana), will support a network of exceptional scholars from diverse disciplines who are at the doctoral, post-doctoral, and early career stages.
To more completely understand the complexity of the issues of agriculture and food security and their link to nutrition, and appreciate the contribution that diverse sectors make, the program integrates research and professional training with internships hosted at non-academic institutions working in rural communities.
Cross-cutting research issues will include but not be limited to
- (i) the quality of production of small-scale women farmers working in the area of high-value animal products and other agricultural commodities,
- (ii) farmers’ association(s) and cooperatives to support women farmers and facilitate access to agriculture and financial services and development of small businesses,
- (iii) adolescent girls’ and young women’s knowledge and skills needed to become successful agriculture-related entrepreneurs; and
- (iv) institutional collaborations to provide services and support for adolescent girls and women’s nutrition, development, and income generation potential.
For more information
- Direct questions to Dr. Marquis at grace.marquis [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Queen%20Elizabeth%20Scholars%20(QES)%20program%20) or Dr. Addy at nii.addy [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Queen%20Elizabeth%20Scholars%20(QES)%20program%20)
- Queen Elizabeth Advanced Scholars Program Winning Proposals