At the Desautels Faculty of Management, the Marcel Desautels Institute for Integrated Management (MDIIM) champions an integrated management approach that includes cross-disciplinary programs and the linking of teaching, research, and practice.
We develop and foster an integrated approach to management education by:
- Driving cross-disciplinary teaching across the different streams and programs within the Faculty.
- Leading innovative integrated research, teaching, and outreach initiatives. We leverage the research of our professors and the expertise of top business practitioners to create exceptional programs and course content. During their time at Desautels, students contribute to academic research and engage with practitioners through experiential learning opportunities, feeding directly back into practice.
- Encouraging different understandings of value that go beyond business as usual to include economic, social, and ecological concerns.
These goals inspired us to develop a brand of management education with positive personal, organizational, and societal implications, driven by a wave of young new leaders with both a practical and theoretical appreciation of the importance of integrated management. This is why the Desautels Faculty of Management has become a global leader in integrated management education and why the MDIIM exists today.
The Sustainability Initiative
What is Integrated Management?
The significant ecological, social, and economic issues with which our society is now wrestling and the major challenges confronting contemporary managers are closely related. As these challenges grow, leaders must be able to appreciate the interconnectedness of different forms of capital and develop innovative solutions that create value for their organization and its stakeholders.
Whether one considers the relationships between different functional areas inside an organization or the relationships between an organization and its external stakeholders, there is a growing need for managers who can articulate and reconcile issues from multiple perspectives.
MDIIM has several goals, which are to:
- Encourage management students, researchers, and practitioners to take a cross-functional, holistic, and context-sensitive approach to management and organizations to promote the validity and innovative potential of different perspectives on value;
- Foster within management students the capacity for the innovative and informed responsible decision-making required by today’s complex global environment through interdisciplinary curriculum design;
- Serve as a focal point for promoting collaborative, interdisciplinary management research by facilitating grant applications and sponsoring seminars, speaker series, workshops, networking events, etc., and in general providing a forum for sharing ideas and exploring collaborative research within the Desautels Faculty of Management and McGill University as a whole; and
- Improve integration between academia, policymakers, industry, and community leaders to better reflect the belief that management skills are applicable across all organizational sectors.