D.Sc. (engineering); M.Sc. (engineering); MA (philosophy)
Strategy process, Strategy-as-Practice, Organizational Change, Communication, Research Methods
Grigor McClelland Dissertation Award (supervisee: Henrika Franck, 2013)
Six graduated PhD students.
Warwick Business School, UK; Hanken School of Economics, Finland; Rouen Business School (now NEOMA Business School), France; Helsinki University of Technology (now Aalto University), Finland
Papers in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Ketokivi, M., Mantere, S. & Cornelissen, J.P. (2017). Analogical Reasoning for Theory Progress in Organizational Research. Forthcoming in the Academy of Management Review.
- Gylfe, P., Franck, H., Lebaron, C. & Mantere, S. (2016). Video methods in strategy research: Focusing on embodied cognition. Strategic Management Journal, 37 (1): 133-148.
- Balogun, J., Jacobs, C., Jarzabkowski, P. Mantere, S. & Vaara, E. (2014). Placing Strategy Discourse in Context: Sociomateriality, Sensemaking and Power. Journal of Management Studies, 51 (2): 175-201.
- Cornelissen, J., Mantere, S. & Vaara, E. (2014). The Contraction of Meaning: The Combined Effect of Communication, Emotion and Materiality on Sensemaking in the Stockwell Shooting. Journal of Management Studies, 51(5): 699–736. Winner, Best Published Paper in Organization and Management Theory, Academy of Management OMT Division.
- Mantere, S. & Ketokivi, M. (2013). Reasoning in Organization Science. Academy of Management Review, 38 (1): 70-89.
- Mantere, S. (2013). What is Organizational Strategy? A Language-Based View. Journal of Management Studies, 50 (8): 1408-1426.
- Mantere, S., Aula, P., Vaara, E. & Schildt, H. (2013). Narrative Attributions of Responsibility in Entrepreneurial Failure. Journal of Business Venturing, 28 (4): 459-473.
- Aula, P. & Mantere, S. (2013). Making and Breaking Sense: An Inquiry Into Reputation Change. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 26(2): 340-352.
- Küpers, W., Mantere, S. & Statler, M. (2013). Strategy as Storytelling: A Phenomenological Exploration of Embodied Narrative Practice. Journal of Management Inquiry, 22 (1), 83-100.
- Mantere, S., Schildt, H. & Sillince, J.A.A. (2012). Reversal of Strategic Change. Academy of Management Journal, 55(1) 172-196.
- Schildt, H., Mantere, S. & Vaara, E. (2011). Reasonability and the Linguistic Division of Labor in Institutional Work. Journal of Management Inquiry, 20(1): 82-86.
- Ketokivi, M. & Mantere, S. (2010) Two Strategies for Inductive Reasoning in Organizational Research. Academy of Management Review 35, 315–333.
- Suominen, K. & Mantere, S. (2010). Consuming Strategy: The Art and Practice of Managers’ Everyday Strategy Usage. Advances in Strategic Management, 27, 211-245.
- Mantere, S., Pajunen, Pajunen, K & Lamberg, J. (2009): Vices and Virtues of Corporate Political Activity. Business and Society, 48, 105-132.
- Mantere, S. & Vaara, E. (2008). On the problem of participation in strategy: A critical discursive perspective. Organization Science, 19, 341-358.
- Mantere, S. (2008). Role Expectations and Middle Manager Strategic Agency. Journal of Management Studies, 45, 294-316.
- Mantere, S. & Sillince, J. (2008) Strategic Intent as a Rhetorical device. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 23: 406-423.
- Mantere, S., Sillince, J.A.A. & Hämäläinen, V. (2007) Music as a Metaphor for Organizational Change. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 20, 447-459.
- Mantere, S. (2005) Strategic practices as enablers and disablers of championing activity. Strategic Organization 3 (2): 157-184. Recipient of the SO!What award, for best paper in 2005.
Books and Edited Volumes
- Aula, P. & Mantere, S. (2008) Strategic Reputation Management. New York: Routledge.
Chapters in Books
- Franck, H. & Mantere, S. 2013. Coping with ethical tensions through irony. In R.T. By and B. Burmes (eds.). Organizational Change, Leadership and Ethics: Leading Organizations towards Sustainability. New York: Routledge.
- Mantere, S. How the ‘Strategy-Bug’ helped me make sense of 301 interviews. Forthcoming in A. Carlsen & J.E. Dutton (eds.) Generativity in Doing Qualitative Research. Copenhagen Business School Press.
- Mantere, S. Strategy Practice as a Form of Life: A Wittgensteinian Perspective on Studying Strategy-as-Practice. Forthcoming in D. Gorsorhki, L. Rouleau, D. Seidl & E. Vaara (eds.) Cambridge Handbook of Strategy as Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Carlsen, A. & Mantere, S. (2007) Pragmatism. In S.R. Clegg and J.R. Bailey (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Organization Studies. London: Sage.
- Best Published Paper in Organization and Management Theory (with Joep Cornelissen and Eero Vaara), Academy of Management OMT Division.
- SO!What award (Best paper award for the journal Strategic Organization), 2010
- MBA lecturer of the year (University of Oulu eMBA program), 2009
- Hanken teaching award, 2007
- (With co-author Pekka Aula) Pro Oeconomia award (20.000€) for the best business book in Finland 2005-2006.