2022/2023 Senate Committee on Libraries Meetings
25 October 2022 – from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
12 December 2022 – from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
6 February 2023 - from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
3 April 2023 – from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Terms of Reference
The Committee on Libraries is a Standing Committee of Senate with the following specific areas of responsibility.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
The Committee shall:
1. Recommend to Senate, as appropriate, broad policies concerning the Library in support of the University’s strategic plans and academic priorities.
2. Review and advise on planning documents and reports as they relate to the Library and advise Senate and others, as appropriate, on library and information service developments which are of academic significance to the University.
3. Review resource allocation policies as they relate to the Library’s strategic plan.
4. Facilitate and advise on communication between the University community and the Library.
5. Meet at least twice per semester during the academic year and submit an annual report to Senate.
The Provost or delegate, Chair
The Trenholme Dean of Libraries
Chairs of the Library Advisory Committees (including Macdonald campus)
Three faculty members appointed by Senate on the recommendation of the Senate Nominating Committee
Two librarians appointed by Senate on the recommendation of the Senate Nominating Committee
One administrative and support staff member from the University Libraries appointed by Senate on the recommendation of the Senate Nominating Committee
Two undergraduate students
One graduate student
One Continuing Education student
One student representative of Macdonald Campus
Source: Senate Minute 5, September 26, 1990
Amendments: Senate Minute 75, February 13, 1993
Senate Minute 129, March 23, 1994
Senate Minute 5, March 4, 1998
Senate Minute 7, May 14, 2003
Senate Minute 12, December 1, 2004
Senate Minute 10, May 24, 2006
Senate Minute 2, May 20, 2009
Senate Minute Oct 20 2010
Membership (3-year renewable terms)
- The Provost (or delegate), Chair: Professor Christopher Buddle, Associate Provost (Teaching & Academic Programs)
- The Trenholme Dean of Libraries: Professor Guylaine Beaudry
Chairs of the Library Advisory Committees (including Macdonald Campus):
- Professor Geneviève Saumier (Law)
- Professor Julie Cumming (Music)
- Professor Michael Fronda (Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Professor Robert Funnell (Schulich)
- Professor Michelle Hartman (Islamic Studies)
- Professor Fernando Altamuras (Macdonald Campus)
Three faculty members appointed by Senate:
- Professor Elizabeth Elbourne (History and Classical Studies, ARTS) – 2023
- Professor René Provost (Human Rights, LAW) - 2024
- Professor Miltiades Paliouras (Research, MEDICINE) - 2025
Two librarians appointed by Senate:
- Mr. Joseph Hafner (Associate Dean, Collection Services, Library) – 2022
- Ms. Nathalie Waters (Head Librarian, Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering) – 2024
One administrative and support staff member from the University Libraries appointed by Senate:
- Mr. Carlo Della Motta (Library Supervisor, Humanities and Social Sciences Library) – 2023
- Undergraduate: David Vaillancourt
- Undergraduate: Beckett Kurth
- Graduate: Dakota Rogers
- Continuing Studies: Enzo Jeronimo
- Macdonald Campus: Charlotte Chan
- Claire Guyatt
Note: Terms are 3-years, renewable