The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) ranks McGill Library 42 out of 117 member libraries in North America. This is based on the most recent ARL Library Investment Index (2020-2021).
In the 2023 MacLean's University Rankings, released in October 2022, McGill Library ranked 1st in the percentage of its budget devoted to library collections in the medical-doctoral category, which includes 15 Canadian universities with medical schools and a wide range of doctoral programs.
- Library collections: 9.4 million items
- Library personnel (excluding casual employees): 165 staff members
- User seating across library branches: circa 4,000 seats
- 8,000 daily average visits to the Library system-wide during weekdays in 2022-2023 (Fall & Winter terms).
- 300+ articles downloaded on average per McGill student or faculty member in 2021 via the Library’s electronic subscriptions.
- 25K participants attended 770 library lectures, workshops, and tours in 2021-2022.
- 17 open access journals currently published by the Library (June 2023).
- 51,858 theses & dissertations from McGill University available in the Library’s institutional repository, eScholarship@McGill (June 2023).
- 179,625 pages from print items in the Library’s collections were digitized in 2022, of which 54% were digitized to complete on demand requests.
- 2275 BCE clay tablet is the oldest item in the Library’s collections.