Request scanned copies of journal articles or book chapters from the print collections of the McGill Library, to be sent to a McGill email address.
This service is not available for materials that are also available from the electronic collections of the McGill Library, including the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
This service is open to current McGill students, faculty and staff only.
Delivery can take up to 5 business days, due to current public health measures.
How to request a scanned copy
Fill out this form: Article/chapter scan request form
Please provide as much information as possible to help us identify what you would like scanned (title of article/chapter, author, page numbers). If requesting a journal article please indicate the volume in which it is contained and the year of publication.
Important copyright notice
Scanned articles and book chapters are copied and supplied in accordance with the Canadian Copyright Act. Works obtained through this service are protected by copyright and may only be used for the purpose of education, private study or research or as further provided for under fair dealing. In general, the guidelines for amounts that may be copied are:
- 15% of a work
- 1 entire chapter of a book (as long as it does not total more than 20% of the book)
- 1 entire article from a journal
If you have any questions about how you may use this content, or if you require more than these amounts for teaching purposes, please contact copyright.library [at] mcgill.ca.
Please note: the service is unable to process requests submitted by e-mail. Please submit requests via the form.
When it's time to retrieve your scan, you will receive an email with a URL and password, which will provide temporary access to the article or chapter in digital format.
The article or chapter will be available on a server for a period of 30 days. Each article may be retrieved a maximum 5 times. After 30 days, articles and chapters are automatically removed from the server.
- The article/chapter scanning service is offered for most materials in the library's collections that are uniquely available in print format. Print materials that are also accessible in the library's electronic collection are excluded, including those available via the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Service.
- For materials located in the library’s rare or special collections please refer to the Digitization - On demand request form.
- Professors may request scans from items on course reserve.
docdel.library [at] mcgill.ca