Temporary work permit

Student is the dependent or the spouse of an individual with a Temporary Work Permit valid for a position in Quebec


Please note that in order to be exempted for the semester, the expiry date of the permits must be equal to or greater than the end date of the semester.


Note that this exemption is not applicable if:

  • The temporary worker who has been authorized to work on campus (part-time or full-time) is pursuing studies at the same time.
  • The temporary worker has been authorized to work in Canada for a maximum of one year after gaining a degree or diploma.
  • The work permit is open.


Documents required:

  1. Study permit
  2. CAQ
  3. Proof of relationship to temporary worker (e.g., marriage or birth certificate). Note that a statement on the work permit or visa regarding the relationship, e.g., "accompanied by (spouse or dependent's name)" is acceptable.
  4. Temporary worker's valid work permit issued by Immigration Canada indicating the employer's name and location in Quebec (employment letters are NOT acceptable).
    Temporary worker's valid open Post-Graduate Work Permit indicating Case Type 56 and/or Post-Graduate in the Remarks section.


Note regarding self-funded programs: ALL students - regardless of legal status - are charged the same rate of tuition fees. Fee exemptions are therefore not applicable to these specific programs. Please refer to www.mcgill.ca/student-accounts/tuition-fees/tuition-and-fees-tables-and-....

Note regarding distance programs: ALL students - regardless of legal status - are charged according to their physical location. For complete details, please refer to https://www.mcgill.ca/student-accounts/tuition-fees/general-tuition-and-fees-information/online-distance-programs.

IMPORTANT NOTES regarding submission deadlines

Back to top