Richard Murphy Commemorative Symposium and Dorothy J. Killam Lecture
The Neuro is hosting a celebration of life and legacy in honour of Richard Murphy who passed away on March 24, 2022.
Richard Murphy was Director of the Montreal Neurological Institute from 1992-2000. He was the first PhD scientist to hold the position and during his tenure, the institute hired more than twenty faculty members, establishing a strong and vibrant molecular and cellular research group. Understanding that there was a desire in Montreal and beyond to support the institution, he bolstered the Neuro Development office, inspired the community and spearheaded the campaign to build the Brain Tumour Research Centre.
The program will feature three sessions of short talks and remarks and close with the Dorothy J. Killam Lecture. A reception will follow.
Register to attend in person: REGISTRATION LINK
To view the livestream
Wayne Sossin, Scientist, The Neuro & James McGill Professor, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
- Master of Ceremonies
Guy Rouleau, Director, The Neuro (Montreal Neurological Institute-Hospital), Chair, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery; McGill University, Chair, Department of Neuroscience, McGill University Health Centre
- Welcome remarks
1:40 – 2:15
Session 1: Richard Murphy - Colleague/friend, mentor, leader and young scientist
- Jack Antel, Clinician Scientist, The Neuro & Professor, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
- Phil Barker, Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation, University of British Columbia's Okanagan campus
- James Fawcett, Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Dalhousie University
- Thomas Gevas, retired, former Chief Financial Officer and Associate Director, Administration and Planning, Montreal Neurological Institute
2:20 – 2:55
Session 2: Richard Murphy - Building of cell and molecular biology at The Neuro and impact on young careers
- Stefano Stifani, Scientist, The Neuro & Distinguished James McGill Professor, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
- Peter McPherson, Scientist, The Neuro & Distinguished James McGill Professor Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
- Tim Kennedy, Scientist, The Neuro & Professor
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
- Edward Fon, Clinician Scientist and Scientific Director, The Neuro, Professor, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University
3:00 – 3:15 break
Session 3: Building the Brain Tumour Research Centre – Inspiring a community
- Lucie Rémillard, Présidente, LR Stratégie and former Executive Director External Affairs, The Neuro
- David Kaplan, Senior Scientist, Program in Neurosciences and Mental Health, Hospital for Sick Children, Inaugural Scientific Director, Brain Tumour Research Centre, Inaugural William Feindel Chair in Neuro-Oncology
- Rolando Del Maestro, Professor Emeritus, William Feindel Chair in Neuro-oncology, McGill University, Inaugural Clinical Director, former Scientific Director, Brain Tumour Research Centre, Director, Neurosurgical Simulation and Artificial Intelligence Learning Centre
- Elaine Murphy, Wife of the late Richard Murphy
4:15 – 5:30 p.m.
Dorothy J. Killam Lecture: From Development to Repair - How Growth Factors and Stem Cells Build the Nervous System
Speaker: Freda Miller, Professor, Michael Smith Laboratories, Dept. of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Canada