This page contains information on the areas that have been set aside specifically for McGill graduate students in Library branches across campus:
- Humanities and Social Sciences Library
- Islamic Studies Library
- Macdonald Campus Library
- Marvin Duchow Music Library
- Nahum Gelber Law Library
- Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering
Humanities and Social Sciences Library
Please note that our study areas are strictly reserved for McGill students.
In order to accommodate the volume of requests, the library does not grant study spaces to faculty members.
PhD study room
PhD students in their first and second year:
- Applicants are welcome to request a carrel desk and/or locker on one of our floors at the Service Desk during service hours by providing a valid McGill ID.
- A common PhD area is also accessible to all PhD students on the 6th floor of the McLennan Building (Room M6-37A) with study desks and lockers.
Applicants in their comprehensive exam phase or in the process of writing their dissertation:
- Shared spaces reserved for PhD students in the Faculty of Arts, Education and Management.
- Quiet and secure working spaces, only accessible to approved students on a first come, first served basis.
Read the guidelines for the PhD study room
Request a desk in the PhD study room
- Numbered carrels are for the personal use of graduate students
- Designed for individual study, fitted with side partitions
- Books charged to a carrel borrower's card may be kept on hold during the session, as long as they are not requested by others
- Undergraduate honours students writing theses are also eligible. To obtain a carrel, please ask your thesis supervisor to hsslloans.library [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Carrel%20Request%20for%20Undergraduate%20McGill%20Student, body: Carrel%20Request%20for%20Undergraduate%20McGill%20Student%0A%0AStudent%20Name%3A%0AStudent%20ID%20Number%3A%0AProgram%20and%20year%3A%0ATime%20of%20completion%3A) (email us) by stating the estimated completion time.
How to reserve a carrel:
Carrels are assigned on a first come, first served basis to qualifying students
To reserve a carrel desk in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, we kindly invite you to come to the library’s services desk during service hours and providing us with your McGill ID card.
For undergraduate students, please ask your thesis supervisor to email us by stating the estimated completion time.
Numbered lockers on the third floor of the McLennan Library building are for the personal use of graduate students and are assigned for the term.
- Library books kept in the lockers must be charged out to the borrower's card
- Storing food in the locker is prohibited
- McGill Library staff can request to check the content of the locker at any time
- Students must supply their own locks, the library will not be responsible for lost or stolen personal property
How to reserve a locker:
Lockers are assigned on a first come, first served basis to qualifying students
To obtain a locker on the 3rd floor of the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, please come to the library’s services desk with your McGill ID card during service hours.
Islamic Studies Library
The Islamic Studies Library has a total of 42 study carrels for Islamic Studies graduate students. These are available in the Octagon Room, in the Mirror Room and on the second floor.
Macdonald Campus Library
Reserved storage cabinets
- Graduate student cabinets, available for one term only, on Level 3. Cabinet keys may be borrowed from the Loans Desk.
Marvin Duchow Music Library
Graduate students in Music have two options with respect to carrels and study rooms for their specific use in the Music Library. They may sign up for carrel space in the public reading areas of the 5th floor or they may request a carrel in A407 or A507 if they are preparing for their comprehensive exams.
For more information, please consult:
Guidelines for Music graduate student carrels and study rooms (pdf) | Isoloirs et locaux d’étude pour étudiantes et étudiants aux cycles supérieurs en musique - Politique d’utilisation (pdf)
Nahum Gelber Law Library
- Graduate students are entitled to apply for a reserved study space on the 5th floor, to which library materials may be signed out.
- There are 21 locked cubicles, and 27 desks in the open stacks.
- Use the application form to request a space.
- The type of space a student is entitled to is assigned by the Associate Dean, Graduate Studies.
Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering
Reserved storage cabinets
- Rooms 411 and 412.
- Semi-private desks with locking cabinets.
- Available to graduate students on a first come, first served basis.
- To reserve, contact the schulichloans.library [at] mcgill.ca (Schulich Loans desk) .