McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Thu, 07/18/2024 - 18:12

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

Engineering Graduation FAQs

When should I apply to graduate?

In your final year, preferably at the start of your final term, but you can apply earlier.
*Note: By "apply to graduate", we mean "add yourself to the graduation list for us to review your file". Your status will remain "Pending" until sometime after ALL final grades appear on your transcript in your final term.

What if I don’t see the term of graduation that I am applying for?

You might be too early and the module is not yet open, or you may have missed the deadline to apply on Minerva. Don’t panic, talk to your department to find out how you can be late added.

Do I have to inform my program advisers that I am graduating?

Yes, it is important to check with them before your final term to ensure you are on track to graduate.

When will my transcript indicate that I have graduated?

Winter graduation: Late May
Summer graduation: Late October
Fall graduation: Late February

*The Degree Awarded notification and any earned honorifics like "Dean's Honour List" or "Distinction" appears on transcripts three times each year. *

How long will my status remain pending and what does this mean?

Your application will remain “pending” while your file is being reviewed by your Department and the Faculty. Should there be a problem, you will be communicated to by email. Note that we cannot approve your record until all your final grades appear on your transcript. Please also note your Student Graduation Approval Query status on MINERVA will remain “Pending” until Senate meets to approve degrees, and your student record on MINERVA will display the Degree Granted notation at the appropriate time, see above dates.

Can I graduate in June if I have a Summer course that ends in May?

No. You CANNOT register for a Summer term course if you have a Winter term graduation flag. Also, you cannot graduate in a Winter term if you need a Summer course to complete your degree. You can graduate in the Summer term (Degree granted October).

I need to take a summer course to qualify for another program. Does this mean I cannot graduate?

If you do not need the summer course for your current degree, you can graduate in May and register for the summer course as a Special Student. See the Summer Studies website for instructions.

Should I wait until after my final term courses are finalized before applying for graduation?

No, you can apply before then. Having a graduation flag on your record will not affect your ability to make changes to your registration in your final term, but it will prevent you from registering for later terms. So, if you need to register for the next term, you must change your graduation term first.

I just failed a course in my final term. Should I change my graduation term now?

Please consult with your departmental advisor as soon as possible.

My major is complete, but my minor is not. Can I still graduate?

You cannot graduate with an incomplete program on your record in your final term. You must either drop it or stay to complete it. And we cannot drop or change your program without your written consent. Please consult with a MESC advisor if you are unsure.

I missed an exam and had to defer it. Can I still graduate?

If the course you deferred was in your final term, then normally you would have to delay graduation to the next term. Deferred exams are written several months after the original exam. However, you should talk to a MESC advisor about your options.

My project is taking longer to complete than planned, and I have been granted an extension. Can I still graduate?

You cannot graduate if all of your final grades are not on your record; so, depending on how much of an extension you need, you may have to delay graduation to the next term.

Back to top