McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Thu, 07/18/2024 - 18:12

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

Engineering Graduation Checklist

These are the important things the Faculty checks when reviewing your file for graduation; so, it is a good idea you review these early enough to make changes if needed. Make sure you have completed these steps and satisfied these requirements. See your Departmental Advisor if you have questions or have trouble making a change on MINERVA. Information on applying to graduate, convocation, and picking up your diploma are on the McGill Graduation and Convocation site.


  1. Apply to graduate on MINERVA (U3 students only). Deadlines vary and can be a few months before graduation. Do this when you are sure when you will graduate. Note that applying for graduation does not affect your ability to change your courses or your programs, and you do not have to wait for your final grades to show on your transcript, even if you have deferred an exam from a previous term.

Select one of the following three terms of graduation:

Final Semester at McGill

Courses will be Completed by...

Deadline to Apply on Minerva

"BEng or BSC Arch Granted" Status on your Record

Granting of Diploma & Ceremony



End of February

End of May




End of March

End of October




End of November

End of February


*NOTE: Students who are taking courses at another university during their term of graduation MAY NOT be eligible to graduate at the end of that final term. These students MUST select the NEXT available term of graduation.

  • Go to Student Menu > Student Records Menu > Apply for Graduation for your Primary Curriculum.
  • Select your expected final semester of study.
  • Your Minerva record must show that you are in your U3 year of study to be able to enter a term of graduation.
  • Missed the deadline to apply for graduation? Contact your department; you will be required to fill out a Course Authorization form with their signed approval.
  • Double check to see that the correct “expected term of graduation” appears at the upper-right hand corner of your record by going to Student Menu > Student Records Menu > View Your Unofficial Transcript.
  1. Make sure you have no outstanding academic HOLDS, particularly “Engineering Degree Requirement Not Met”.
  2. Correct minor/concentration(s) on transcript in final term.
    Verify your MINERVA transcript. You cannot graduate with an incomplete minor or concentration on your record in your final term. If you do not intend to complete the minor, you MUST drop it.
  1. Program is completed. Check with your departmental advisor; do this early enough to make course changes if needed.
  2. All transfer credits from an exchange or study away must show on your transcript.
    Students cannot graduate in the same term they have an exchange or study away. Transcripts from host universities will not arrive in time.
  3. S/U option – the maximum allowed is 10% of your McGill credits but ONLY for:
    • Complementary Studies courses (Group A Impact of Technology on Society and Group B Humanities and Social Sciences, Management Studies and Law)
    • Natural Science Complementary Courses in Computer and Software Engineering
    • Elective Courses (for Bioengineering and Mechanical Engineering students from CEGEP and Architecture students)

*This option CANNOT be used for core courses.

  1. At the time of graduation, you must be in Satisfactory Standing with a minimum CGPA of 2.00.
  2. Pay all your fees, including library fines. While this will not prevent graduation, if you have a fee hold on your MINERVA transcript (just below your name and ID info), you may not be able to receive your diploma or order official transcripts until the hold is cleared. If you have questions about your fees, contact Service Point.


Frequently Asked Questions

Back to top