Alyson Gounden Rock
Visiting Ph.D Student, Institute for Work and Employment Research, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2023)
- PhD in Management, Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University (expected 2024)
- MPA, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. USA.
- MA, (Mastère spécialisé en Management). Audencia Business School, Nantes, France.
- BA, Modern Languages (French). Oxford University, Oxford. UK.
Kossek, E. E., Perrigino, M., & Gounden Rock, A. (2021). From Ideal Workers to ideal work for all: A 50-year review integrating careers and work-family research with a future research agenda. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 126, 103504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103504
Stakeholder Alignment Collaborative: Cutcher-Gershenfeld, J., Baker, K.S., Berente, N., Berkman, P.A., Berman, H.M., Canavan, P., Feltus, F.A., Garmulewicz, A., Gounden Rock, A., Hutchins, R., King, J.L., Kirkpatrick, C., Lenhardt, C., Levin, P., Lewis, S., Maffie, M., Mayernik, M.S., Mittleman, B., Nusser, S.M., Plale, B., Sampath, R., Shin, N., Stall, S., Towns, J., Winter, S., Veazey, P., Zarecor, K.E.. When Launching a Collaboration, Keep it Agile. Stanford Social Innovation Review. Spring 2022 40-47.
Manuscripts under R&R
Stakeholder Alignment Collaborative: Cutcher-Gershenfeld, J., Anderson, K., Baker, K.S., Blatecky, A., Berman, H.M., Canavan, P., Garmulewicz, A., Gounden Rock, A., Hutchins, R., King, J.L., Kirkpatrick, C.R., Klensin, J.C., Lenhardt, W.C., Mittleman, B., Sampath, R., Shin, N., Winter, S., Zarecor, K.E.. “The Consortia Century: Stakeholder Alignment for Transformational Change.” Oxford University Press .
Stakeholder Alignment Collaborative: Cutcher-Gershenfeld, J., Baker, K.S., Berente, N., Blatecky, A., Berman, H.M., Chan, N. Garmulewicz, A., Gounden Rock, A., Hutchins, R., Mikytuck A., Mittleman, B., Sampath, R., Shin, N., Winter, S., Zarecor, K.E.. "Lessons from Multi-Stakeholder Consortia for Public Higher Education Systems." Public University Systems: Origins, Impacts, and Possibilities for the Future 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. Nancy Zimpher, Jason Lane, and Jim Johnsen. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- HBS Race, Gender & Equity (2023)
- Wharton People & Organizations Conference (2022; 2021; 2020)
- EGOS (2022)
- PROS (2022)
- British Academy of Management (2022)
- LERA (2023; 2022: 2021)
- Academy of Management (2023; 2022; 2021; 2019)
- American Sociological Association (2023; 2021)
- Boston Field Researchers Network (2023; 2022; 2021; 2020; 2019)
- International Association of Conflict Management (2016)
Podcasts and Press:
- Delve Podcast. Desautels Faculty of Management
New Normal: Ideal Workers, Gender Equality, and COVID-19 with Alyson Gounden Rock McGill University. (2021)
- WBUR Cognoscenti
The Truth About Working Mothers. WBUR (NPR affiliate) (2017)
WBUR Boston Cognoscenti Contributor (2017 – present)
- Huffington Post
A New Deal for Moms (Huffington Post) (2015)
Huff Post Contributor (2015 – present)
I am an economic sociologist and OB/HRM researcher and I study the phenomenon of gender inequality in the workplace and in society. I conduct problem-driven research to add to our theoretical and practical understanding of the social processes that underpin gender inequality and its intersections with age, parenting status, race and social class. To do this, I adopt a mixed method approach that crosses disciplinary boundaries and levels of analysis. I draw from a wide range of domains to make connections to shed light on gender inequality, bridging theory from different research traditions. All of my research reflects my commitment to and passion for Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and is informed by my lived experience. I am deeply committed to Responsible Research in Business and Management (RRBM) principles: high quality research that has a significant societal impact on practice, and I am a Research Associate with the RRBM initiative. I bring my research interests into my classroom and center my students' learning experience to increase my impact as a teacher and as a researcher.
- Economic Sociology
- Gender Inequality
- Gender and Work
- Work and Family
- Qualitative (Archival)
Teaching experience (at undergraduate and masters level, and executive education):
- Organizational Behavior
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Public Value and Public Management
- Career planning with public value creation
- Strategic Management
- Labor & Employment Relations Association PhD Symposium Organizer (2023)
- Responsible Research in Business & Management Research Associate (2021-2023)
- OB Research Seminar Organizer, Desautels Faculty of Management (2020-21)