Glossary of Terms
Work Study Subsidy Management System Glossary
- Administrative Delegate - Administrative Delegate can have either full access or partial access to the Work Study Subsidy Management system upon approval by their Supervisor
- Affiliate Organization - a non-McGill organization / staff member working in association with McGill
- Approved Subsidy Hours - the number of subsidy hours that have been approved by the Scholarships and Student Aid Office
- AUS Subsidy - Additional funding has been made available as a result of a referendum of the Arts Undergraduate Society to create career-related Work Study positions in the Faculty of Arts.
- Base Subsidy - The regular funding will subsidize $5.00 of the student's hourly wage.
- Expired Hours - the portion of unused subsidy hours that have expired for a given term.
- Full Administrative Delegate tasks - include submitting, viewing and editing submissions for subsidy hours as well as viewing payroll details for their Work Study approved students in Work Study eligible jobs
- McGill Payroll system – McGill's legacy Human Resources systems was Minerva appointments and POPS - Payroll Onetime Payment System. As of August 2020: POPS and Minerva HR will be replaced by Workday.
- myFuture - myFuture is the McGill University's portal for promoting job opportunities and career education. Work Study job postings will be posted in myFuture
- Partial Administrative Delegate tasks - include submitting, viewing and editing submissions for subsidy hours only.
- Reimbursed Amount - the dollar value that has been reimbursed to the employer FOAPAL based on the Work Study students hours worked and the number of available subsidy hours attributed to the employer's Supervisory ORG Unit.
- Reimbursed Hours - the number of subsidy hours that have been used/reimbursed to the employer's FOAPAL.
- Reimbursement Process - Reimbursements are processed on a regular basis and funds will be transferred by journal entry to the FOAPAL from which the student's wages are paid.
- Remaining Hours - the number of subsidy hours still available. The hours are calculated as Approved hours minus Reimbursed hours equal Remaining hours.
- Requested Subsidy Hours - the number of hours requested by an employer or their administrative delegate
- Subsidy - after-the-fact reimbursement payments for hours worked by Work Study approved students in Work Study eligible jobs. Subsidies are reimbursed to departments using the payroll records of Work Study students.
- Supervisor - the person responsible for supervising the Work Study student who has been hired
- Supervisor ORG Unit- Employees in Workday are grouped into a management hierarchy called "Supervisor Organization Unit" (code starts with e.g. SO- 0000000 in WorkDay). The departmental Organization code is not the Supervisory ORG Unit. A Supervisory Organization defines who reports to whom within McGill – much like an organizational chart – and it drives the business processes and reporting.
- SUS Subsidy - Additional funding has been made available as a result of a referendum of the Science Undergraduate Society to create career-related Work Study positions in the Faculty of Science.
- Top-up Hours - additional subsidy hours attributed to employers as incentive to hire Arts/Science students. The top-up subsidy may provide an a additional $5.00 of the student’s hourly wage
- Workday - McGill's Human Resources Management System
- Work Study roles - There are two roles in the new Work Study Subsidy Management System. The new system will use the following roles: a) Supervisor (i.e. Employer or the person responsible for supervising employee(s)/student(s), b) Administrative Delegate - as approved by the Supervisor (i.e. Contact, Payroll coordinator, etc..)
Back to top