Once you arrive in Canada, keep copies of all important documents (e.g. Passport, Study Permit, CAQ, Health Insurance Card, etc.) in a safe place, and take note of your documents' expiry dates.
Renew your Passport (at least 6 months before expiry). Check this list of foreign representatives in Canada to find your country's closest Consulate or Embassy.
Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ)
If your CAQ has expired, and you are continuing your studies (past the original expiration date) you will need to apply for a new CAQ. This application should be completed 3 - 4 months before your current CAQ expires.
- The application is completed online and the processing fee ($111 CAD, as of Jan. 1, 2017) can be paid by credit card.
- Post-application, you will receive a checklist of the supporting documents to mail to Immigration Quebec’s office (address provided on the checklist).
- For the start and end date of your program, indicate approximate dates for the duration of your entire degree (example: 3 years, 4 years, etc).
- If your checklist includes a request for proof of financial capacity, you - or your financial guardians (parents, or whoever is supporting you) - should provide a confirmation that you/they can cover tuition and fees plus one year of living expenses. For living expenses, Immigration Quebec requires a minimum of $1,000 per month
See detailed instructions in the CAQ Application Guide
Study & Work Permits
Once you receive your new CAQ, you can renew your Study permit. Please note that as of June 1st, 2014, all NEW Study Permits will automatically include an Off-Campus Work authorization (see CIC notice).*
*Students who must complete a mandatory internship, practicum or co-op terms as part of their program must still apply for a co-op/internship work permit. This can be done within the Study Permit application.
If you require a TRV/entry visa:
When applying to renew your study permit or work permit from within Canada, you will only receive the study permit or work permit. The TRV/entry visa must be renewed separately and only once your receive your study or work permit extension. You must have a valid TRV/entry visa to enter Canada from abroad, except when re-entering Canada after a visit solely to the US.
For step-by-step instructions on how to new your Study Permit:
Please see our Study Permit Renewal Guide.
NOTE: McGill's CIC Designated Learning Institution number (DLI#) is O19359011033
**US STUDENTS can renew their Study Permit at the port of entry
US students can renew their Study Permit at the border (Lacolle/Champlain, St. Armand/Phillipsburg, or Stanstead), or - if arriving by plane - with immigration services at the airport (instead of online). Be sure to bring with you:
- your valid passport
- your CAQ
- your Proof of Enrolment (available on Minerva)*
- a photocopy of your proof of financial capacity
- the processing fee of $150 CAD (CAD or US cash, debit and credit cards accepted)
* Master's & PhD students: we also recommend bringing a letter from your Supervisor (dated, signed and on McGill letterhead) indicating when you are expected to finish your program.
Note: There is bus service to the Canada/US border.
If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension, but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. This means that you can continue to study (and work as a student, if you were doing so prior to your application) until you receive your new Study Permit.
Important! Do not leave Canada until you receive your new Study Permit, as you may encounter problems at the border upon re-entry (see here for more information).
Entry Visa (TRV)
Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV to enter Canada. Apply for a new TRV after you have renewed your CAQ & Study Permit.
As a student, you can now apply for a new TRV online, from within Canada, before you leave (to have a valid TRV upon your return, and not have the hassle of having to apply while abroad).
Once you fill out the online portion of the application, you will receive instructions from CIC indicating where to mail your passport.
For tips on how to apply, please see our Entry Visa (TRV) application guide
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
As of November 10th 2016, all individuals (International Students included) who are TRV-Exempt and who fly to or transit through Canada (except those traveling by land/sea) will require an eTA. This does not apply to citizens of the United States.
If you renew your Study Permit or Work Permit inside of Canada and your eTA is expired or will expire then it will not be automatically renewed. Therefore, you must apply to renew your eTA separately from your Study Permit or Work Permit. Please see the CIC website for details on how to apply.
- While your documents are being processed... It is strongly recommended that you remain in Canada while your immigration documents are being processed. Please see "Can I travel while waiting for my online study permit renewal application made inside Canada is still in process?" here.
- Keep records Ensure that you keep a photocopy of all application forms and supporting documents that you send to Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Québec.
- Track your application Always mail important documents using a mail or courier service that allows you to track your items. It is important for you to have proof of the date that your dossier was received. You should also keep the receipt of delivery for your records.
- Your contact information Please remember that if your documents are being processed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office in Vegreville, your Study Permit can only be mailed to an address in Canada, so please ensure that you indicate a valid Canadian mailing address and a phone number where messages can be left in your application.
- "Restoration of Status" fee If you apply to renew your Study Permit after it expires, you must pay a "Restoration of Status" fee. Once it has been renewed, you must submit a copy of both your CAQ and Study Permit to Enrolment Services.