Quick Links

Renewing immigration documents

Once you arrive in Canada, keep copies of all important documents (e.g. Passport, Study Permit, CAQ, Health Insurance Card, etc.) in a safe place, and take note of your documents' expiry dates.


Renew your Passport (at least 6 months before expiry).  Check this list of foreign representatives in Canada to find your country's closest Consulate or Embassy.

Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ)

See detailed instructions in the CAQ Application Guide

Study & Work Permits

Once you receive your new CAQ, you can renew your Study permit. Please note that as of June 1st, 2014, all NEW Study Permits will automatically include an Off-Campus Work authorization (see CIC notice).* 

*Students who must complete a mandatory internship, practicum or co-op terms as part of their program must still apply for a co-op/internship work permit.  This can be done within the Study Permit application.

For tips on how to apply, please see our Study Permit Renewal Guide.

NOTE:  McGill's CIC Designated Learning Institution number (DLI#) is O19359011033

**US STUDENTS can renew their Study Permit at the port of entry

US students can renew their Study Permit at the border (Lacolle/Champlain, St. Armand/Phillipsburg, or Stanstead), or - if arriving by plane - with immigration services at the airport (instead of online). Be sure to bring with you:

  • your valid passport
  • your CAQ
  • your Proof of Enrolment (available on Minerva)
  • a photocopy of your proof of financial capacity
  • the processing fee of $150 CAD

There is bus service to the Canada/US border.   

Implied Status

If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension, but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status.  This means that you can continue to study (and work as a student, if you were doing so prior to your application) until you receive your new Study Permit. 

Important!  Do not leave Canada until you receive your new Study Permit, as you may encounter problems at the border upon re-entry (see here for more information).

Entry Visa (TRV)

Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV to enter Canada.  Apply for a new TRV after you have renewed your CAQ & Study Permit.

As a student, you can now apply for a new TRV online, from within Canada, before you leave (to have a valid TRV upon your return, and not have the hassle of having to apply while abroad).

Once you fill out the online portion of the application, you will receive instructions from CIC indicating where to mail your passport. 

For tips on how to apply, please see our Entry Visa (TRV) application guide.
































Off-Campus Work Permit Update:

As of June 1st, 2014, all NEW Study Permits will automatically include an Off-Campus Work authorization.  Details HERE

Important tips:

  • While your documents are being processed... It is strongly recommended that you remain in Canada while your immigration documents are being processed.
  • Keep records  Ensure that you keep a photocopy of all application forms and supporting documents that you send to Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Immigration Québec.
  • Track your application  Always mail important documents using a mail or courier service that allows you to track your items. It is important for you to have proof of the date that your dossier was received. You should also keep the receipt of delivery for your records.
  • Your contact information  Please remember that if your documents are being processed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office in Vegreville, your Study Permit can only be mailed to an address in Canada, so please ensure that you indicate a valid Canadian mailing address and a phone number where messages can be left in your application.
  • "Restoration of Status" fee  If you apply to renew your Study Permit after it expires, you must pay a "Restoration of Status" fee. Once it has been renewed, you must submit a copy of both your CAQ and Study Permit to Enrolment Services.