ISS is here for you.

All services continue to be offered remotely during regular business hours.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services: September 2021:
The latest updates can be found on the Entering Canada page.
            1. International students with a valid study permit (or approval letter) can travel to Canada (McGill is on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan). Before making travel plans, please refer to our Entering Canada page.
            2. Fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by land or by air, are now exempt from the federal requirement to undergo a 14-day quarantine. The 14-day quarantine continues to be required for all other travellers who are not considered fully vaccinated.
           3. For more information, please refer to McGill's quarantine resources and IHI’s vaccination FAQs.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Renewing your eTA

*IMPORTANT* U.S. citizens do not require an eTA to fly to Canada.

As of November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Who needs an eTA?

If you are visa-exempt (i.e., you do not require a Visitor Visa/TRV to enter Canada) and you are flying to or transiting through Canada, you must have an eTA. You do not require an eTA if you are entering Canada by land or sea.

You can check to see if you require an eTA or a visitor visa (TRV) here.

You can also view a list of visa-exempt countries here.

Do I need to renew my eTA?

Normally, an eTA is issued for 5 years or until the expiry of your passport, whichever comes first.

You can check the status of your current eTA here.

If you have gotten a new passport since your last Study Permit was issued, you will need to get a new eTA.

Do I need to apply separately for my eTA?

It depends on when your Study Permit Extension or Work Permit Extension was issued.

My Study or Work Permit extension was issued on or after May 1, 2017:

If your study or work permit extension was issued on or after May 1, 2017, Immigration Canada will automatically issue you an eTA when your permit is approved. In other words, you do not need to apply separately for your eTA.

My Study or Work Permit extension was issued before May 1, 2017:

If your study or work permit extension was issued before May 1, 2017, and you never applied for and obtained an eTA, you will need to apply separately for one. 

How do I apply for an eTA?

If you need to apply for an eTA, you can do so here.

Back to top