Mental Health and Wellness
Feeling down or in distress? We're here to help.
Engineering Local Wellness Advisor (LWA)
Meet Heleen Loohuis (she/her) the Local Wellness Advisor (LWAs) for the Faculty of Engineering
- Heleen's role as Local Wellness Advisor involves connecting students to appropriate resources on-and-off campus, providing psychoeducational and skills-based workshops, outreach and wellness promotion, as well as individual one-on-one appointments.
- As a mental health professional, Heleen is the full-time Local Wellness Advisor for the Faculty of Engineering. Heleen has worked in mental health care services and evaluation for over a decade. She is a strong believer in easy and quick access to the right type of care. Heleen's office can be found in McGill Engineering Student Centre (MESC) Room 22, Frank Dawson Adams Building.
- A highlight of working at the Hub for Heleen is, "being part of an incredible interdisciplinary team, learning from each other, and working collaboratively on providing rapid and good quality care to students.”
Resources and Services
- Mental Health Hub
- Office for Students with Disabilities
- Office of the Dean of Students
- Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support and Education
- Office of Religious and Spiritual Life
Keep.meSAFE is a free mental health counselling service, offered to students in partnership with SSMU and PGSS, that provides 24/7/365 access to licensed counsellors through telephone and mobile chat in over 60 languages. To access this service, download the MySSP app for Apple iOS or Android or call 1.844.451.9700 (for students in Canada and the US). For Study Abroad Students call 1.416.380.6578. You can learn more about this service on SSMU's website.
- ELATE Student Success Project (SSP)
The ELATE SSP is an initiative supporting undergraduate engineering students in a wide range of both wellbeing strategies and study skills. Please visit the ELATE Student Success Project page for more information!